Identifying trend

Discussion in 'Trading' started by farmerjohn1324, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

Poland is the new India ?

#21     Feb 12, 2020
  2. The file name "Polish" refers to the photo editing app I used to cross out my face.

#22     Feb 12, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. %%
    I cant think of a more useless stat than moving average slope or price slope.And i like movin' averages.One commercial trader on elitetrader , i rememebr + wrote it down; he likes $00.25 levels .WE used to gamble for $ 00.25s in pool halls. NOT that trading/investing is gambling. Nor is it a cr*p shoot.
    I had sold enough of my longs but since it was in $### .20 neighbor hood,i did sell some @###.25. NO idea if i would get filled; did, but really,,never can tell till you pull the trigger.............................................................................

#23     Feb 12, 2020
  4. Then how do you use MA's?

#24     Feb 12, 2020
  5. %%
    Like you do;
    +rake out a profit, 220 period , 200 period, 50 day, 55 day.................................................And since i found out that commercial stock trader used $00.25 levels i watch those...... HAVE tested almost all of them, except 666 period.I watch IBD's 40 week moving average , BUT only on thier charts.I hate the 65 dma the WSJ/Wall Street journal uses=too little+too late .LOL. But the 200 day IBD uses ,+ 200 dma WSJ uses, maybe the most important= the bull elephant size traders + polar bears watch it so to speak.
    I also watch the trend in my trade/invest account /green
    And if i have the profit,i may not sell if it slams thru 50dma like UPRO did in JAN,2020 weekly; but strangely , it bounced up a bit off daily 50 dma.
    Also my guts started to bother in me on semi liquid FNGU;i like to sell longs late + slow; that FNGU/Exchange Trade Note ,slammed so far below 200dma , past 3 years i sold FNGU longs today= even though it looked perfect UPtrend /50dma. And strangely IBD says average volume is 800,000/+; NO its about 77,777-100K to 177,777, sometime WAAAY under 50 day moving average on volume.

#25     Feb 12, 2020
  6. Let's try another one... NZD/USD...

It's in a clear downtrend with the 90ema. This chart shows about 2 weeks, but the downtrend extends back to January 1st. It has recently spiked up and become overbought with a RSI above 75.

I'll sell it and wait until it hopefully dips quite a bit more. I believe these are better odds than a coin flip!

#26     Feb 12, 2020
  7. %%
    Repeating pattern;
    except the way i trade/invest, i may not get to buy FNGU until average day/week volume get s way up or bid ask spread goes way down. NOT a prediction, nor does it pay a dividend like UPRO, SPY, SDOW QQQ.............................................................................

#27     Feb 12, 2020
  8. This is one I might have to hold on to for 2 days or more. I placed a TP at .63801 (over $20k profit on initial $50k investment).

I didn't place a SL because...

1. It's fake money so who cares
    2. I didn't want to risk a "reverse flash crash" to knock me out just to have it revert to the original trend.

#28     Feb 12, 2020
  9. %%
    Actually Farmerjon200 that is a big key.Fake money??No ,not so much fake money, but i traded FNGU ''smaller '' 'cause i got in later this year, so even if its a perfect trend + its not, i dont have to worry about big drawdowns, [compared to stuff i got a better profit on] even on a mild correction. I still paper trade some before i get in a daytrade; + that's another reason i dont daytrade much =when an initial paper trade loses, why put real money on a short term trade??,???????? I use a 200 + 50 period moving average more than 90...............................................................................

#29     Feb 12, 2020
  10. I feel like I've made tons of progress over last day. FOLLOW THE TREND.

I'm so tempted to close out this NZD/USD at a $2500 profit. But I will see it to the end.

I have TP and SL now set at places that would prove my trade true or false.

On initial $50,000 investment:
    TP = $21,352
    SL = -$8,350

#30     Feb 12, 2020