Identifying a reversal (trend change)

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Alfing, Sep 16, 2018.

1. maxinger

maxinger

you are right to some extent.

most people hesitated far too much (at times, I hestitated too). they waited for panets to be aligned.
    by the time they enter, it is too late.

early entry very important so that we can shift stop loss to protective stop

There is no such thing as guaranteed success, accurate reversal pattern.
    Look at today markets. there are lots of reversal signals.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    #51     Sep 18, 2018
  2. padutrader

padutrader

since trends continue for a long time why not wait until it is clear that the trend has changed- i have traded 4-5 reversal signals and have all of them fail..so wait for failure then enter

#52     Sep 18, 2018
    tomorton likes this.
  3. tomorton

tomorton

padu mate, this is the wisest thing you have ever said.

#53     Sep 18, 2018
    padutrader likes this.
  4. padutrader

padutrader

thank you for your patience since you have actually read everything i have written !!!!!

#54     Sep 18, 2018

5. So a trend is either 2 bars on an intraday chart or they continue for a long time.... got it.

#55     Sep 18, 2018
  6. padutrader

padutrader

maybe you have...but they all start with two bars of similar shape size ......

that is my perception....i am not the greatest trader ever...either you take something from that or leave it ...

it is very easy to make fun of any strategy because every strategy makes money...some of the time....and loses many times ...that is the nature of the market....but your nature is very apparent by your comment : yep i got it too

#56     Sep 18, 2018
  7. My point is that you are contradicting yourself in your same sentence...

#57     Sep 18, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  8. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

So close!! :wtf:
    You state a required bit of sense in that any pattern you perceive from history should survive post hoc testing -- that's great. :thumbsup:

But then you destroy it, with "it has been my experience that every reversal 'pattern' fails 90% of the time it appears...."
    What you're saying is that your 'pattern' only holds 10% reliable. That's not much of an indicator. You could improve your trading results by 400%, by flipping a coin, and going long on heads, and short on tails.

Time to find a new method. o_O
    But make sure that any method you choose has results of better than 50|50 -- elsewise, stick with the coin-flipping.

[​IMG]

#58     Sep 18, 2018
  9. qxr1011

qxr1011

imho profitable is baloney (half of the people on the market are profitable one time or another),

he will never be a professional trader if he can not spot the trend's beginning and the end.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    #59     Sep 18, 2018
  10. qxr1011

qxr1011

that you have to find on your own

#60     Sep 18, 2018