Ideas For Now-

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by stonedinvestor, Apr 27, 2020.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

long some VMC. ;)

#351     Jul 2, 2020
  2. vanzandt

vanzandt

While you're sitting pool-side this weekend Stoney, perhaps spin your wheels on the highly likely possibility that, at least in many areas of the country, kids aren't going back to school this fall.

What's the off the radar niche play? Not like Zoom, something no one has thought of. Think about it, there are millions of two career families that depend/plan on their kids heading off to school in August. What's gonna happen? I can't think of any plays though.

And if the schools do open, yes the whole air quality thing is certainly there, but all those companies... they are huge. Just how much will this effect their actual bottom-lines? It takes a lot to move one of these things. I mean they may get a pop on exuberance, but when earnings come in, they're gonna pull back. Look at how much debt Carrier was saddled with in that spin-off for their IPO. I mean they can come on CNBC and talk a big game, but show me the FCF. Also, schools are gonna be cash-stapped af. Do you know how much a district would have to spend to retrofit just one HS? More than they have is my guess.

I feel for those families where both parents need to work and they have young kids in school. Maybe Trump should lighten up and allow some of those refugees to get nanny permits or something. But even at that, the lions share of those families don't have a house large enough for a live-in anyway. That might work where you're at in the tri-states, or DC, or SV.... but not so much in Peoria. Daycare is expensive af, and good luck making those facilities sterile and keeping hyperactive kids socially distant; so there's no way the cost of day-care isn't going up markedly... one more ouch in the lives of the over-indebted. More stress. More divorces. More messed up kids. Hmph.

I can't come up with any ideas though, short of puts on the S&P. But who can bank on that when the Fed is back-stopping everything?

Interesting times Stoney... interesting times.

#352     Jul 2, 2020
  3. Dang it Van.... I go and fall into Grow Centers Of America or whatever I can't even find the stock! Grow Generation that's it.. Got the T shirt... Live the Life.. And you side step me and go with the more powerful Vulcan...

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!
    We are entering a phase of delusion. The word to get to know is" underemployment" Which is slightly different than unemployment and registers better on the monthly polls. We have had a spat of relatively good news and now that is done. The most recent take on the economy is predictable after a surge we have taken a step back.

The virus is mimicking the economy and vice versa.<---

What now... we have till the August recess of congress to keep this Universal Wage going...
    The market correction is following the same time line.

Here in NYC the word came firmly from the mayor the kids are going back to school!! I had such a happy day that day then later The Governor said Not So Fast... and I bummed out again. Since a lot of what happens is based on science-- the science of all of this as shown in other countries is that school is not the big problem. Countries that shutdown but kept the under grades at school they did not have huge outbreaks. If we didn't have that darn rare effect of the virus that effects kids directly this wouldn't really even be a question--

Is Scholastic still a stock? // CHGG Chegg is the big fast money play but it has already doubled.
    There are some chinks in the CHGG story... AMZN could get in the game and probably will... also pass/fail sort of set ups do not work with their content as well or move their content as much... It is a good stock but I screwed up when i was watching it-- and I should of bought. It's too expensive now.

In general kids are going to be given lap tops I think. The poorer kids you have to. So there could be a play in the standard Dell type computer-- someone will get big contracts for some school districts-- Everyone needs access to the Net and these courses... Bil Gates or someone needs to make basic WI Fi free for these families that aren't rich.

Walmart to convert parking lots into drive-in event spaces in early August -- oo I like this idea alot.WMT Walmart said that, starting in early August, it is setting up safe, socially distanced drive-in events at Walmart Supercenters across the U.S. The company did not disclose any specific dates or other details about the initiative, but said it is "coming soon." <-- Movie theaters much!!!!

Wallmart the new place to see the newest film... WMT.

Q: Who the hell is DOMO....
    upload_2020-7-6_8-15-58.jpeg

Domo has been on a tear!
    Domo, Inc. DOMO. The stock has moved higher by 22.5% in the past month<----

DOMO’s recent earnings estimate activity
    Last year, it generated $24 billion in global revenues. By 2020, it's predicted to blast through the roof to $77.6 billion. Famed investor Mark Cuban says it will produce "the world's first trillionaires," -?

A software company in Utah?

Description
    Domo, Inc. operates a cloud-based platform in the United States. Its platform digitally connects from the chief executive officer to the frontline employee with the people, data, and systems in an organization, giving them access to real-time data and insights, and allowing them to manage business from smartphones. The company was formerly known as Domo Technologies, Inc. and changed its name to Domo, Inc. in December 2011. Domo, Inc. was founded in 2010 and is headquartered in American Fork, Utah.

SCHL. Scholastic. Might be interesting to watch for news about them getting more digital for this at home learning. I think most schools are going to have to use the Mix system of some days at school some days home splitting the kids up for a year at least. Sports! That's what I'm most worried about I'm grooming my boy for a college sports, he is really good at B Ball... this is his time his chance... I care more about that than the schooling. I know these are memories one has forever... I still think about playing HS football to this day. Not math class.

#353     Jul 6, 2020
  4. vanzandt

vanzandt

The way I see it Stoney, both parties are going to be talking up infrastructure spending. Obviously. This is no great revelation on my part. The closer we get to November, the more we'll hear the talk. Is it me or has the idea of a balanced budget become a thing of the past? I honestly don't think its even going to be a talking point this cycle so there's no way we aren't going to hear "America's roads and bridges need rebuilt" ad nauseam in the coming months. I think VMC is going to $145 slowly but surely regardless of the broader tide at this point. Covid is here to stay one way or the other and it looks like that's been priced in.

#354     Jul 6, 2020
  5. Yes well put! I think the ultimate end of this is an infrastructure plan... but what will be left?

The most interesting story today is TicTock and the way they are pulling out of Hong Kong. It's being portrayed as a protest to China's hardline stance... I think... There's something hidden here... Tic Tock has to act anti - China Gov because they are under scrutiny here... but the end result is that what China really wants after all-- Pull he plug...

--
    A lot of folks are learning to shoot guns. That's what I hear. Gun violence is way up in NYC and in the other far flung places ordinary non violent folks who don't hunt are suddenly buying guns.
    There is no doubt. This whole Confederate flag issue plays into it but people seem to want to arm themselves even nerdish easterners. I can't bring myself to buy a Gun company outright-- in the old days I would buy Cabellas pretending it was for the camping but they sold a lot of guns. Now I'm thinking It's a little outfit called Sportmans Warehouse (SPWH)--

$14 stock.

Sportsman's Warehouse price target raised to $18 from $15 at Lake Street 08:55 SPWH Lake Street analyst Mark Smith raised the firm's price target on Sportsman's Warehouse to $18 from $15, telling investors that management meetings, channel checks and FBI background checks data all give him more confidence that the company is benefiting from the high demand for firearms and ammunition. Smith, who thinks Sportsman's is likely seeing better inventory fulfillment in firearms than many of its peers and thinks trends in other segments - such as fishing and camping - have seen "dramatic increases" since April, keeps a Buy rating on the shares.

#355     Jul 7, 2020
  6. Updates)

Salmon stock swims upstream turned back by rough water. (AQB)
    Aqua Bounty Update. Advanced from $3.20 to $3.44.

Pot Growers Equipment stock keeps running into selling. (GRWG)
    3rd attempt at clearing $7.00 turned back at $7.30 yesterday...

Wallmart had a huge day! That was the trade yesterday but now the news... Yuck! Subscription plan... F that! We want movies! Already I get from JET which is an under co of WMT I get Water delivered pretty quick if you don't mind the smaller size bottle real quick without having to pay $98 a year! Selling WMT.

Folks I have to get this all together in One Large List of the Co's that have made it into the Ideas For Now Portfolio if not mindset-- I realize that the whole idea of this thread is pretty brilliant. At the time I didn't realize it but things have changed forever... and so it is interesting to look beyond the obvious (video conferencing and Etsy, etc.) and see how the different companies will be effected and rise to the occasion or not.

My goal is to create one list here-- I just have so much drama with my house -- it seems every time I put one mini issue to rest anther pops up.

I have a take on this market that No one Else Does. I've listened to every talking head out there and no one can come up with a reason why these Nifty Fifty tech stocks will ever go down. I have one. and it may not happen.

Sports. Yup. When I heard that all the oomph of the recent NASDAQ move was due to frustrated sports gamblers who have taken up zero commission stock speculating I immediately wondered what happens when sports comes back? //... Now on a second front I have been really gung ho on Internet gambling at a time when there is nothing to gamble on. Sorry Golf fans. As usual I am sort of in the right place but somehow completely not. But consider this What Happens If Sports Does Come Back?

Well it has been proven people are desperate to gamble. Really desperate. They will sit at a slot machine with a mask on. Big fun. No drink. No girls. No perks. So when the Sports Books open Up I anticipate a hUge amount of gambling and that COULD BE TO THE DETRIMENT OF THE STOCK MARKET-! As this leg of the rally was pushed by those folks frozen out of sports wagering... so will this rally abruptly stop when the NFL starts!~stoney

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    #356     Jul 8, 2020
  7. vanzandt

vanzandt

Top o the morn to ya stoney,
    Ahhhh, I dunno if sports is the problem. What's the yield on the 10 year? Like .65 or something? I gotta think there's a re-balancing act going on by the folks that manage huge amounts of fixed income portfolios. Make no mistake, chips have always been a commodity... this run will end. AMZN's growth will stagnate, costs will rise, but earnings will come in as capex slows. The cloud plays will come back down to realistic valuations, trading at 45X sales based on earnings 5 years from now is just stupid.
    There's nothing new under the sun stoney. The market has adjusted for Covid, it'll do its thing now.
    Imo, wait for a decent pull-back and buy the solid value plays with a decent divy for the Ira.

Did you notice VMC didn't sell off yesterday?

What's the deal with the A/C btw?

#357     Jul 8, 2020
  8. Update) LLNW

Limelight Net- Up About $2! Not bad when those two bucks come between $5.50 and $7.50.
    -recent PT-
    Limelight Networks price target raised to $8.50 from $6 at Raymond James 06/26 LLNW Raymond James analyst Robert Majek raised the firm's price target on Limelight Networks to $8.50 from $6 and keeps an Outperform rating on the shares. Majek continues to believe the company's revenue growth potential is underappreciated and that Limelight trades at too large of a discount to its competitors.

Update) CENT

Central Garden & Pet- We were watching at $33 area has not made into the portfolio yet.
    CENT has sort of anchored $3 above in $36 area, I am not convinced it's going to run away- This stk is similar to Carrier CARR in that way... Watching.

#358     Jul 8, 2020
  9. I am happy to report that after one additional miscue the air con has worked continually over the past few days which is a good thing because we have been up around 90 and are supposed to be up there again today and the next few days. I have come away from this process thinking air conditioning is very very important. It's right up their with a fridge.

I have a new headache of course. Might be time to get the septic sucked out.

I didn't see the action yesterday on VULC (VMC) That's a real good sign though. How do you think their earnings will go? I have carefully crafted my Ideas For Now Portfolio with stocks that I believe can deliver on earnings but most others are expected to post drops of 40%. Will it matter? It may not but I would think this not promising anything because of Covid... that's going to run dry soon... Investors should not stand for that. Using this situation as an excuse to get blurry with the numbers...

#359     Jul 8, 2020
  10. There is a real problem with testing. We know that. Following the testing stocks I have zeroed in on 3.
    A) QDEL has stood out. It's expensive as heck-$225!
    B) HOLX Possibly the best value & primed to move-$56
    C) FLDM The little guy-$4.50

I believe Clorox owns Lysol and the news on Lysol the other day that it's the first home cleaner that will be allowed to say by the FDA on the label that it kills Covid 19<-- Yikes... that's alot of Lysol spray that's going to be sold... Years from now they will tell us that perhaps the mist cause cancer but for now... Lot of units... CLX despite being $224 is an Idea for Now.

#360     Jul 8, 2020