ideal barebones system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by o_2_b_sean, Jul 12, 2002.

1. I recently struggled through the decisions for a new box - was gonna go ahtlon but I've heard one-too-many-VIA-is-bad stories to live thru the nighmare - granted it's not barebones but at this place (Monarchcomputers.com from GA) you can configure any way you want - not spam - only a satisfied (so far) customer

their branded MIDtower w/ 400WATT (sparkle) ps
    GIGABYTE GA-8IHXP INTEL 478 533 incl. NIC and sound (SB pci 128 according to driver info)
    INTEL P4 2.26 533 FSB
    2 sticks KINGSTON 256 RAMBUS PC1066 for total 512 (and 2 more ram slots empty for now)
    WESTERN DIG 800JB 80 GIG 8 MG (the special edition one with 8MB cache) (raid is on the m/b but have to get another HD...)
    CD ASUS 52X (cant believe how quiet this thing is - my home box cd sounds like a tornado when it fires up)
    MATROX 32MB G450 DDR DUAL
    WINDOWS 98 VERSION 2 ( I know I bought win2k previously but am not familiar with it so maybe I'll dual boot install it until I get confy with it)
    floppy, kb and mouse & 3 year warranty

$1435 including 2day fedex, and I think it was like 40 bucks for them to put it together and burn in for 3 days.

oh - my m/b choice was narrowed down after reading a tom's hardware article

#21     Aug 9, 2002
  2. gnome

gnome

I recently bought a new box with win2000. Was surprised how similar its interface was to W98. My advice would be not to bother with W98. Win2000 is a snap!

#22     Aug 9, 2002
  3. too late... the box is already hooked up at the office...

I know that the interface is similar - but I also know that there are differences like the administrator vs. user ?log-in? (not sure of the term), the ntfs vs fat 32 hd format, and others that I'm too tired to recall.

My master plan is to order another box for home with the same components except with an xtra HD and double the ram with a dual boot win 98/win2k and then learn all about the wonderful world of win2k at my leisure.

but I digress from the topic

thanks!

#23     Aug 9, 2002
  4. gnome

gnome

I doubt you'd notice any functional difference due to the FAT. "Administrator" works the same as "W98 with password to enter". I've got 2 machines with W98 still on them. They seem very tiresome and slow.

#24     Aug 9, 2002