IDE poll

Discussion in 'App Development' started by d08, Feb 1, 2020.

What IDE/editor do you use?

1. Vim

16.7%
  2. Emacs

11.1%
  3. Atom

5.6%
  4. Visual Studio Code

38.9%
  5. PyCharm

11.1%
  6. Sublime Text

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Eclipse

16.7%
  8. NetBeans

5.6%
  9. Notepad++

5.6%
  10. I roll with Notepad/Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. d08

d08

I recently switched from Atom to VSCodium (Visual Studio Code) and I'm surprised how functional this MS product is. Looks like Atom could be merged into VS products or discontinued since MS bought GitHub.
    Since there's plenty of coders here, what are you using?

2. ET180

ET180

Visual Studio 2019 (Preview) for C++
    Eclipse for Java

Of the two, I prefer Eclipse.

3. Of this list I've used emacs, eclipse and pycharm. In that order so currently using pycharm.

Atom looks fun but a bit OTT for me.

GAT

4. d08

d08

Atom is nice but has multiple issues - the startup is very slow and during usage there's so many slowdowns, it hogs the resources at odd times and the settings migration is a bit of a pain.

PyCharm really didn't appeal to me, I was able to ruin the app through settings with a few clicks.

5. guru

guru

I’m surprised you didn’t include 2nd most popular IDE, Visual Studio. I use the free version.
    VSCode is most popular and even used at Google. I also use it occasionally.

ET180 likes this.
  6. d08

d08

Agreed, missed that one.

7. zdave83

zdave83

I also use VS for real-time trading via IB's APIs. LOL ... I clicked Visual Studio Code in the poll before I caught the difference. Started writing trade modeling systems in the 90's using VB6 ... back when that was the thing :) . As time went on I continued to use VB6 in the form of VBA, which was a nearly effortless transition for my code set ... still use it today for historical data handling and analytics. I looked at VB.net, C#, later Python, and others ... but never found compelling benefits for the time needed to migrate. The system continues to use the VB6/VBA proprietary datastore, and has always integrated well with the dashboard, UI, & charting capabilities in Excel.

guru likes this.
  8. Metamega

Metamega

Besides dabbling with some python in notepad++ and pycharm my experience is minimal.

Started the CS50 course and the beginning is all C programming. Could use their IDE which is I believe cloud9 based. Wanted to try and get a editor and compiler setup natively.

Started off just using the built in terminal to compile then found out I could setup a builder and debugger for C. Was pretty simple with the documentation.

Just saw the other day I can start my windows terminal, get to my project folder and a simple “code .” will launch vscode on they project.

Everything seems well integrated. For hell of it I installed WSL and Ubuntu from the Microsoft store. It seamlessly integrated the Linux terminal and vscode together. No setup required.

Lots of extensions I could see to very helpful. Just downloaded one to view csv in the editor to help with some Dubugging.

Did try Visual Studio Community but it was pretty heavy for my medium spec laptop and the projects I’m doing.

9. guru

guru

Here are some stats:
    upload_2020-2-1_12-55-29.png

"A popular choice for DevOps and SREs is Vim, and data scientists are more likely to work in IPython/Jupyter, PyCharm, and RStudio."

10. 2rosy

2rosy

if i'm in a shell emacs with a lot of customization. So much so that I don't know default emacs keys. for C# visual studio. java and python intellij variants. all else vscode which is great for less popular languages

#10     Feb 1, 2020