I'd rather make 20% Auto trading than

Discussion in 'Trading' started by chipmunk, Nov 26, 2008.

1. I have one. It has taken me almost two years to develop and refine it, but I now believe it is world-beating.

It has been averaging $2000 per month per YM contract. (This is based on 4 months of live trading, and 2.5 years of tick-level backtesting). If you trade $8000 per contract, this is 25% return a month.

I may make a move to a lower-margin broker (currently with IB). $500 day trade margins would allow me to trade with $4000 a contract, (to allow for the historical worst-case drawdown of $3k). This would then make it 50% a month return.

Pretty soon though, I'll run into the problem of position sizes on the YM being too big relative to that contract's volume, and it will be time to move to the ES if I want to keep increasing the volume.

And yes, it is 100% automated. This does not mean it is emotionless though. Like another poster said, you have to love the game.

#11     Nov 26, 2008
  2. If you trade $8000 per contract, this is 25% return a month.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    and the drawdowns are.......? 50%+

You might not blow out....but you might. I've seen it all before. Focusing on the results and ignoring the losses.

I wouldn't want to trade anythign that gives me more than about 8% per month. Why? Becasue i know it is a disaster waiting to happen.

I do realize when you find your system

1) It won't last for-ever. Be ready for the day it stops with another one. Or at least it will need tweaking.

2) You can't go on a world tour for 6 months and expect to have made millions. LOL I wish, but what I can't stand is watching the f**** quote machine all day. I want to daytrade but not by wasting my time in front of the quote machine. That's why I prefer auto-systems. I can check up on them daily/weekly/monthly, etc.

I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to sit and watch charts and quotes all day... NO WAY.

#12     Nov 26, 2008
  3. if this is the case then I will never day trade:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suspect few ever achieve it. And even for those who do, their success is likely not durable.

#13     Nov 26, 2008
  4. joemiami

joemiami Guest

Judy, you are absolutely correct! Generally speaking, autotrading is for weak/lazy people who tend not to care about learning the markets(with the exception of those who have other careers to attend to and dont have the time). They want to make money without putting in hard work. They are not traders in my opinion. I put in 2-4 hours a day watching the multi time frame charts to scalp spot euro/usd and ES futures. And I wouldnt have it any other way. People like you, me, and select others on here have a true passion for the markets. The rest on here are just wannabees who lack that passion and drive to truly be successful traders and make a great living at it......

#14     Nov 26, 2008
  5. You are joking right?

So you stare at the screen for 4+ hours day and you have a passsion? I guss an alcholic will say the same if he drinks for 12 hours a day. Get a life!

so people who have jobs and auot trade are ok? Biut people who wantt o auto trade otherwise are lazy? What gives? Eiher auto trading works or it does not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People like you, me, and select others on here have a true passion for the markets. The rest on here are just wannabees who lack that passion and drive to truly be successful traders and make a great living at it......

#15     Nov 27, 2008
  6. ctrlbrk

ctrlbrk

Are you? :)

#16     Nov 27, 2008
  7. "quote machine" LMAO!

#17     Nov 27, 2008
  8. Totally wrong! First, you are assuming that human action can be programmed. It could be done in theory but the brain and equipment needed would assume that you have already made it to riches. ;)

Also, edges to come and go. Short term market structures change with changes in volatility, volume, etc. Making an algorithm account for this is pretty much impossible. In short, an edge is not durable, since you can never be sure when or if it will be taken away from you.

#18     Nov 27, 2008
  9. Most firms having bots trading for them hire at least 2 people per auto system for monitoring purpose.

Even at 1 person per auto system, you are looking at 50K cost (desk cost and salary) minimum per system. So, if your leverage is greater than 0.25 (yes, you get it right, $4 sitting here per $1 put on the line) then you better sit there watch your system performing tick by tick. :)

Undertstand what risk/reward means, in details, before putting your $ on the line.

#19     Nov 27, 2008
  10. Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. What's this guy referring to? A Quotron? Did he step out of a time warp from the 1980s?

Of course, most of the punks around here don't even know what a Quotron was. :p

#20     Nov 27, 2008