ID quality threads

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Babak, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Babak

Babak

With the growth of posts on ET, I find that I no longer have the time to wade through as much as I did to find those really awsome threads. Different ideas have been thrown around on how to mitigate this noise to signal ration. One idea that has been thrown was around to 'vote' or somehow give points to posters. This was shot down for some reason or other.

But instead, can the software be tweaked so that we can vote for the thread itself? Something like a 0-5 scale would do the trick. So if you like a thread, believe that it contains good info/analysis, etc. and does not contain personal insults or childish taunts, etc. then you would give it a 5. As well, it would be neat if you could filter or search according to thread ratings.

So what do you think?

2. Choad

Choad

Sounds like a fine idea.

A Perl wiz like Baron oughta be able to knock it out during the curling commercial breaks!

3. I've asked a long time ago for the feature to "subscribe" to certain posters (e.g. those in one's buddy list).

Much as I'd like to, I don't have the time to monitor ET during the last few months.

4. Babak

Babak

Yeah, that sounds good too. Wouldn't it just be like setting up a feed?

5. Pekelo

Pekelo

Instead of voting for threads or subscribing to certain posters, why not just SUBSCRIBE to the THREAD??? Problem solved....

And if you want to read interesting or useful info, you can always put 'Pekelo" into the searchfield.... :)

6. Babak

Babak

I'm not sure if you're being facetious...

...but the reasons are that you have to find the qualtiy threads in the first place. And because certain posters don't write to just one thread.

7. Pekelo

Pekelo

I understand and agree that there are no more then 3-5 (probably less) interesting thread a day. But the problem is that we are different, thus what might interest you, can bore the hell out of me. So voting on threads wouldn't necesserily work.

The point is, you have to find the gems for yourself. I don't think it is very hard, if you just visit once a day in a quick 5-10 minutes you can browse through the new threads and subscribe to those that you like.

Now about the favorite posters. I assume after a while you have a list of 5-10 posters whom you like. (I should be on the top of that list) But to find their posts is already really easy, you just click on their posts number under their names and ta-da! there is a list of their newest posts!

8. Page views are ET's cash machine. If you're not clicking on the threads, ET is not making money.

Why else would a worthless scab like ZZZzzzzzzz be allowed to cut and paste 10 worthless new threads everyday?

:D

9. cnms2

cnms2

The solution is simpler: for each thread print the number of current subscribers (without including the ones that unsubscribed). And maybe keep a top of the most popular threads.

10. Babak

Babak

Yes, that is an elegant solution.

#10     Mar 1, 2006