I'd like to become a better trader

Discussion in 'Journals' started by PO, Feb 2, 2011.

1. PO

PO

may be you can help me out, you did volunteer your comments after all.
    How do you recognize a congested market?
    or was your only reason for posting is to make yourself feel better by insulting others?

#41     Feb 2, 2011
  2. Shagi

Shagi

and how have been insulted ? this will be my last comms on your thread.:confused:

#42     Feb 2, 2011
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Best Looser,

What's your logic that tells you that his commentary was insulting. :confused:

If anything, I was able to gather the following advice that I pulled out of his commentary to you.

* You're going to need more experience to know how to recognize congestion.

Shagi said - future experience will teach you how to recognise a congestion market and one that's trending.

* He said he doesn't know how to recognize congestion...he said such prior to you challenging him to explain how he recognizes congestion.

Shagi said - No I didn't know it was going to be a 3 point day and noone else knew beforehand. But I know that I don't have either a strategy to make money in a 3 point range...

More importantly, why do you have a public trade journal if you're going to respond negatively to any advice towards you. :confused:

My point is if you think your journal is for you only...you should keep it private along with not responding to commentary by others especially the commentary you don't agree with.

Here's my advice considering your trade journal is public...you can accomplish the same accountability goals about sticking to your trading plan via posting your broker profit/loss statement instead of trade by trade real-time announcement. However, you said something very interesting.

You said I've hit the rock bottom in the last few days of this market's roller-coaster ride and desperately need to change the way I trade.

That only starts with how you view the markets, how you interact with the markets and your response to others gives a good insight into some of your accountability issues along with showing how easily you're bothered by things that shouldn't bother you because your number #1 goal, obligation and responsibility is to fix the problems that's sabotaging your trading instead of spending any time & energy getting into confrontation with others.

Simply, show verification of your trades via a broker profit/loss statement for accountability if accountability is a concern of yours and ignore (don't respond) any commentary you don't agree with instead of challenging the person because the latter is not the goal of your trade journal.

Stay focus on the task at hand...profitability

Mark

#43     Feb 2, 2011
  4. PO

PO

thanks. :) you've been so helpful!

#44     Feb 2, 2011
  5. Roark

Roark

So BL, how did you do? What's your PnL so far for February?

#45     Feb 2, 2011
  6. Good post Mark! However, this is an ego problem. The manner in which questions / tips / comments have been responded to clearly demonstrates this.

BT - sadly I fully expect you to take my opinion as "an attack" (which it is NOT so please don't view it as such). If this is how you respond to others who simply offer advice then I can easily imagine how you respond when you find yourself the wrong side of the market. However we dont penalize you for your responses... I can't say the same for the market! Think about this for a while. The change starts with YOU

#46     Feb 2, 2011
  7. PO

PO

I think it's my journal so I know what is my goal better. My goal is to learn. I haven't learned anything from Shagi posts.
    He told me not to trade in the congestion, I already knew that. And the point is not what he said, but how he said it, clearly being condescending.
    this is one example - "There is no excuse for losing money today." That is a statement meant to insult, not help because it comes with no explanations.
    What I'm trying to figure out is how to identify congestion. If he can't help me there, what's the point of posting?

#47     Feb 2, 2011
  8. PO

PO

OK, I agree, the change starts with me because the market is not going to change, so what do I need to change? What is your advice?

you think I'm confrontational for the sake of confrontation? Many people posting here just want to pontificate and not offer any advice and I don't want them to pollute this journal.

I don't think everybody here wants to attack me, some people are helpful, some are just bored and some want to attack to make themselves feel better. With time I will learn how to know the difference and ignore some posters.

#48     Feb 2, 2011
  9. PO

PO

Net P&L for today is + $164
    Made money on my first trade of the day and lost most of it trading the congestion zone (8 loosing or break-even trades).

Summary:
    I need to learn how to identify congestion time. Any advice? thanks.

One way of looking at it is- after we got a LH, but didn't make LL, after 12:30 pm was a congestion zone, should be no trades.

Another one - is OR, we were back in OR after unsuccessful break of ORL at 12:30 and very close to open price all day, that also means congestion.

#49     Feb 2, 2011
  10. Roark

Roark

How about Bollinger and Keltner bands? If the Bollinger band is inside the Kelltner band, you're in congestion. I read that in a book by John Carter, entitled Mastering the Trade: Proven Techniques for Profiting from Intraday and Swing Trading Setups.

Are you sure you're asking the right question? Maybe the question should be, how do I profit from congestion?

#50     Feb 3, 2011