Ice Melting at North AND South Poles

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Ricter

Ricter

Venus is about the same temp on its day and night side. Why the big difference on Mercury?

#41     Nov 3, 2012
  2. Of course there should not be politicization of anything to do with our impact on the earth. We should not allow oil companies or anyone else to put their own interests ahead of mankind's. And, we should not blindly go into several directions based on technologies that may or may not work. IMO, we can actually see the impacts of too much oil drilling, and the effects of smog etc. in the atmosphere. Why not work together, as some oil companies Claim in the advertisements? Why not conserve and recycle? Certainly cannot hurt.

#42     Nov 3, 2012
  3. wjk

wjk

You know that I know the answer, so again, make your point.

#43     Nov 3, 2012
  4. wjk

wjk

Thankyou. That's all I've been saying ever since my first GW discussions years ago with Big Dave.

#44     Nov 3, 2012
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Oh there's no point. Ricter likes to play word games talk in circles and write riddles. It's really all he's got.

#45     Nov 3, 2012
  6. Ricter

Ricter

You said Venus was hot because of volcanoes and its proximity to the sun. But Mercury is closer still to the sun, yet its night side is far colder than Venus. Why the difference? Atmosphere.

Edit: if I'm reading your posts right, you're an ex-squid. Same here, so hello and FTN! : )

#46     Nov 3, 2012
  7. wjk

wjk

Of course. I believe axial tilt also plays a role. I didn't mean to imply that the volcanoes caused the heat, but was speculating that they contributed to the greenhouse effect, though that's not proven. I saw a program that indicates Venus has its own little sweet spot in the upper atmosphere suitable for life. Mercury does have an atmosphere though...well sort of...consisting of a few atoms blasted from the surface by solar wind.

Always glad to meet another sailor! When were you in and did you know any AG's! I was in early to mid 80's.

#47     Nov 3, 2012