IB's TRIN data joins the ranks of Screwed-Up?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by tommcginnis, Nov 14, 2017.

1. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

For two days, the TRIN (NYSE-TRIN) data on my TWS would revert to 1.0 if I dared to hit 'refresh.'
    This screams not so much of the data, but more how TWS is handling it.

Further, there is no ability to look backwards, as this "infects" the data back to yesterday's (Nov13) open.

This produces an unusable chart, since most TRIN impact comes in its movement, not its absolute (cardinal) level.

TRINdatalossNov13_14Capture.PNG

Whatever was done prior to yesterday's open needs to be reversed ASAP.
    FWIW, "963.3k".
    "All possible speed" guys.

2. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

CQG data feed offers This data as well. Maybe it's worth having a backup. Just a suggestion.

tommcginnis likes this.
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

It SHOULD show 5 minute candles. but since Monday's open, it only shows the current candle.
    (You'll also see the ES and a thicker/dashed 6-minute moving average of the TRIN, which will nicely mirror each other when things are normal.)

I know what happened:
    Over the last few weeks, TRIN has opened with an anomalous figure (usually very high) which then colors the graphing range for all the ensuing candles.

IB undoubted set something to say, "SET TRIN VALUES TO 1.0 ON RESET." and it works not only for overnight, but hell, AT EACH CANDLE upon reset.

It should be a simple fix, but what produced the initial ill (the anomalously high calculations) which produced this cure-worse-than-the-ill bandaid? Dunno.

But you see those candles from 1pm to 1:50pm? If I hit reset, they will all end up as 1.0s, just like 9:30open -- 1:05pm....

DANG. I'm trying like hell to write, and if "Timing is everything" I surely don't have one of my big "Go/No-Go" indicators up. Dannnnnnnng.

upload_2017-11-14_13-50-35.png

4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

......... mutter mutter mutter......

:banghead:

(I appreciate the response, but "in a perfect world" what I pay/paid IB for, would be received, right?)

......... mutter mutter mutter......

:cool:

MattZ likes this.
  5. SteveM

SteveM

Tom,

I keep a tiny deposit in a ThinkOrSwim account so I can use their platform for charting/custom indicators, etc, and only use my IB platform to enter orders.

ToS platform is 10x superior to IB - I recommend everyone free themselves from it.

6. jharmon

jharmon

Of course it's a flawed indicator anyway since it is based upon all issues traded on NYSE - so it double-counts multiple classes of stocks, includes preferreds/debt/hybrids, possibly also includes NYSE American and NYSE Arca (ETFs and ETNs).

If you don't know how your provider calculates it (or they won't tell you) either (a) calculate it yourself or (b) find a new provider.

Brokers never make good data data vendors.

7. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

I respect and understand the frustration.

I also try to set up the customers on one platform where all the solutions provided under it. However, there are times where the customer's methodology dictates certain configurations that require multiple feeds, and software for execution.

8. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

:rolleyes:

A canary makes a poor miner.

:cool:

9. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Just checked with a buddy who's running the venerable/vaunted 949.3d, and his TRIN is also screwed, so it's not 963.3k, and it won't be fixed by my searching the interwebs for 963.3j.

COME ON, IB.

10. geosing

geosing

Not only TRIN, but TICK has the same behavior as well. This started on Monday, Nov 13th.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    #10     Nov 16, 2017