IB's option cancellation fee

Discussion in 'Options' started by njrookie, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Options12

Options12 Guest

spindr0, it sounds like you also thought it was a pass-through fee.

#111     Mar 25, 2012
  2. def

def Sponsor

Spindr has got it right.

Do note, they are not mentioning the credit applied for executions which eliminates the cost for most clients.

Interesting I don't see anyone complaining about IB NOT charging for exercise/assignments for US options. Would it be better for us to start charging like all other firms in return for eating some of the exchange costs for cancels? There is a lot more than meets the eye than listening to some yahoo with a hidden agenda.

#112     Mar 25, 2012
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

you may not have know but Syms went b/r last year.

#113     Mar 25, 2012
  4. Options12

Options12 Guest

Def, at issue is the fact that many on ET seem to have misunderstood the cancellation fee as a pass-through fee.

The statement below is confusing. On the one hand IB says the cancellation fees are charged in order to "help cover" exchange fees.

On the other hand IB says "IB has created cancellation policy based on ease of implementation and proper resource allocation."

Do you know if IB collects more from cancellation fees charged to customers than it pays out in cancellation fees charged by exchanges?

Many exchanges charge fees to their members for orders that are cancelled or modified, and IB charges certain related fees to its customers to help cover these exchange fees. Please note however, that the Modify/Cancel fees listed below may not be a direct "pass-through" of exchange fees in all cases as IB has created cancellation policy based on ease of implementation and proper resource allocation.

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/p.php?f=otherFees&p=cancel

#114     Mar 25, 2012
  5. def

def Sponsor

That's unfortunate. I fondly recall shopping there for my first suits and dress shirts back in the day.

#115     Mar 26, 2012
  6. spindr0

spindr0

It seems like you do as well, given that you posted that "Many exchanges charge fees to their members for orders that are cancelled or modified, and IB charges certain related fees to its customers to help cover these exchange fees."

As you noted from the IB web site, "the Modify/Cancel fees listed below may not be a direct 'pass-through' of exchange fees in all cases as IB has created cancellation policy based on ease of implementation and proper resource allocation." What's so hard to understand about their policy???

The bottom line is still that if IB saves you on trading costs, trade there. If not, trade elsewhere. You post on numerous forums in topics relating to IB. Why are you so concerned with them?

#116     Mar 26, 2012
  7. Does anyone know if a "Modify" will have the same
    cost effect as a Cancellation?

If I move an option buy/sell price to a lower or higher strike,
    will I have similar fees, to a cancellation?

marc

#117     Mar 26, 2012
  8. Options12

Options12 Guest

Yes, I thought the cancellation fee was a transparent pass-through fee.

Then I read rmorse's post which quoted exchange rules on cancellations.

When you search ET for comments on IB's cancellation fees, you find many ET'ers who also seem to have thought their cancellation fees represented actual exchange fees charged to IB.

(See also: Obscene options cancel/modify fees http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showt...1050&perpage=6&highlight=obscene&pagenumber=7)

As for my concerns about IB elsewehere on ET, I'll say that a number of statements IB has posted have troubled me. Some statements have been misleading, others factually incorrect, and others so poorly written that their meaning is muddled.

My past phone conversations with IB have been unfulfilling. So published statements like those on ET and on IB's website are, for many, one of the the only effective ways traders can become better educated about IB policies.

Also, when I joined ET I was shocked by the fact that on a regular basis, traders who challenge IB policies or statements are berated or disparaged by other ET members.

While I don't personally understand any trader who so deeply admires their broker that they would rise to defend them against any challenge, I respect that trader's right to do so.

When IB representatives themselves, however, appear on this forum and insult or mock members seeking more clarity on IB policies, I become very concerned about the culture of that company.

#118     Mar 26, 2012
  9. swooh

swooh

I don't see any cancellation fees for options in IB's fees schedule. Are there still cancellation fees or have they been taken away?

#119     Jan 25, 2017
  10. #120     Jan 25, 2017