IB's New Java Platform

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by mjt, Dec 1, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl J

Carl J

In the old version of TWS you have to set your monitor resolution at 1024x768 to get all of the information on your screen. But when you bring up another web page say for example Quote.com livecharts it's only filling a small part of the screen and is harder to see. Is there any way around this problem other than using two monitors?
    Does the new version address this problem?

#11     Dec 10, 2000
  2. dlincke

dlincke

Def,

the drop down box for selecting from a list of prices around the current market price for the route in question is present in the JTS. However, what has been removed is the alternative functionality of price incrementation and decrementation by clicking in the upper and lower portion of the displayed price (right-click changes by 1/8, left-click by 1/32). This functionality is absolutely essential for rapid order entry and without it any kind of effective scalping becomes impossible and I had hoped that it would actually be enhanced in JTS, so that price chance intervals would be configurable.

In addition even the limited hot key functionality of the old TWS has been removed from the JTS even though we had been promised by IB representative that there would be massive improvements in this area over the old TWS and that it would be possible to operate JTS in a fully keyboard driven mode.

While I appreciate that the old convention of having separate market data lines for the various order routes has been retained, unfortunately, in the JTS there's only a single "global" set of Transmit, Cancel, and Modify buttons. This slows down order entry and makes it more error prone than in the old TWS where every order route/market data line had its separate set of buttons.

Due to these deficiencies I'm quite disappointed in the new JTS especially considering that we were promised so many improvements. I won't be using JTS until those problems are resolved as it would be causing major problems with my trading.

I would appreciate it if you could forward these comments to the appropriate people at IB and I'd like to thank you for taking the time to help IB customers on this board.

Dave

#12     Dec 10, 2000
  3. def

def Sponsor

yes, the new version can be run under any resolution and can be resized as you like.

I personally like to make my screen resolution as 1280x1040 and run with large fonts. (choose advanced under the same place you change the resolution). At this resolution it will be a bit easier to run more TWS.

#13     Dec 10, 2000
  4. def

def Sponsor

dlinke,
    I'll pass your comments to the programming operations group which is handling things. Hotkeys has been a common suggestion which I assume will be addressed. I'm not sure if your other suggestions are in such demand but they are keeping track of things and your comments will be considered.
    Thanks,

#14     Dec 10, 2000
  5. elie

elie

Def

I agree fully to everything what dlincke wrote in his message on the 10th of dez.
    and the IB customers have to ask:
    "where are the improvements?"
    and only adding the hotkey possibility wil not be enough!

another problem what I had is when creating a new page with more than one share symbol I put an empty row between each different symbol and save it.
    but when exiting the JTS and opening again, the empty rows disapeared, and it is very difficult to see where a new symbol starts. I hope the problem was understandable explained.
    thanx for trying to help.

eli

#15     Dec 11, 2000
  6. def

def Sponsor

eli,
    there is a manual on line that hi-lites some of the diffs. Others have asked the same question about blank spaces and I assume it is being addressed as well.

#16     Dec 11, 2000
  7. Carl J

Carl J

I just read through the TWS 4.0 user manual and there are instructions on how to use hotkeys. The user manual is online and can be found on their homepage. I have not used the new version so I can't say for certain that they are working.

#17     Dec 11, 2000
  8. def

def Sponsor

yes, hot keys were added last night.

an additional hot key was added to increment/decrement prices by 1 tick at a time. Thus the questions above about speed of entry should have been addressed. I played around with it Monday Evening US time and found I could enter future orders with price changes faster than I could before. Hopefully you'll have the same results.

Please note that many of the issues commented upon in this thread are rapidly being implemented. I see no reason why the progess will slow down.

#18     Dec 12, 2000
  9. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

thanks a lot Def for keeping track of all our suggestions.
    Proof that IB is listening and cares.

#19     Dec 12, 2000
  10. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

Hi Def,

Suggestion for the Java version..
    Thanks again for the hotkeys..

- The stop orders do not show the stop price. They do for a brief moment [basically when you select it] and then it is gone.

So All my orders are active but I have no idea what is the trigger price ? :-(
    pretty creepy.. no idea if the orders are OK or not... and even if they are, it's good to be able to check the stops, in case we want to trail them.

- multiple font size is good, but would you consider allowing bold/normal font. with a sharp screen, the numbers are really difficult to read [was easier in old tws and it good fonts].

* for others, you still can select transmit per line, either by the selected line or a right click. so the complains earlier are not really valid IMO.

* a new interface always requires some time to adapt.

#20     Dec 13, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.