IBs mobile trading solutions?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by gmst, Oct 17, 2012.

1. gmst

gmst

Have to buy a new phone - the most important consideration is that it should allow seamless trading through IB.

Don't want to buy blackberry/iphone. It seems that mobileTWS for iphone work the best. Does anyone know if "mobileTWS for Android" also works fine and is comparable in performance to "mobileTWS for iphone"? How does "MobileTrader" compare to "mobileTWS for Android and iphone"? Thanks everyone.

2. 2rosy

2rosy

i use tws for android. it works. i never(will never) tried real money account too paranoid.

3. gmst

gmst

Thanks for confirming it works, I think a mobile solution is an extremely important component of business continuity planning - a safety link - especially if one is out on the road or there is a sudden disconnect to dsl/cable, a reliable alternative is needed to manage trades in emergency situations.

I would suggest you better use the mobileTWS app a few times just to ensure familiarity with the app in case you need to use it someday urgently. Cheers.

4. +1

No need to stress out over open positions when you have to move, like a doctor's appointment.

5. luisHK

luisHK

+ 1 and thanks for the info, my next mobile might not be a iphone than.

6. gmst

gmst

Sorry for the misunderstanding but I didn't want to imply that TWSmobile for iphone is not good. From what I have heard, it is the best mobile app available from IB.

I just don't want to buy an iphone because of multiple reasons - some ethical and some related to that it locks you into a telecom carrier. So, I wanted to ask if android TWS app is as good and stable as TWS app for iphone.

7. luisHK

luisHK

No misunderstanding, I'm quite happy with the mobile app on iphone and was reluctant to switch to another smartphone because of worries mobileTWS might not work there - but according to the info above I don't need to worry. I use the app daily but to follow my watchlist with real time data - it's not very convenient to actually trade on - compared to (multiscreen) computer at least - and I actually messed up while closing a position on vacation and missing the time difference from my regular place of trading. Cost me a bit and it likely wouldn't have happened from a computer screen while looking at charts at the same time

8. NoBias

NoBias

The ib mobileTWS for iPad is a very nice app, much nicer than the iPhone version of the app. Both have been great tools.

But I too will not be upgrading or buying any more Apple products.

[The new power connector is the last straw, designed obsolescence of all our accessories is a slap in the face].

Android/Google has really advanced and has sufficient 3rd market support.

With Microsoft Surface available with Win8 pro and all the other Win 8 tablets coming on the market soon capable of running TWS and x86 programs, it is an easy decision for me.

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/surface-with-windows-8-pro/home

9. I just started playing around with the app for the iPad. It is Beautiful!

I especially like the option to be in "Read only mode" - just click on the app and everything loads so I can check current pricing for all watchlists, portfolio situation etc.

No more jumping from CNBC to Reuters to get stuff and wondering what real-time actually is.

10. luisHK

luisHK

It's new function, very convenient indeed and it also works fine on iphones. Any difference to be expected with android or other smartphones ?

#10     Oct 18, 2012