IB's Front End Software

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by quicktrader12, Apr 16, 2002.

1. So what you are saying (concept wise) is that you take several data providers, analyze the data based on a key field like volume and see which is highest then assume that feed is giving the fastest quotes, and thus use those quotes to presumably feed your custom trading app? I am basically using that concept now but on a much smaller scale.

From my experience it's pretty hard to mechanically compare IB data speed because it doesn't provide volume or T&S data - just those one second updates.

#51     May 6, 2002
  2. You got it.

If you don't have a key field you need to store the string and compare, a lot harder.

#52     May 6, 2002
  3. mskl

mskl

I've only used TAL for about two months now and I have NEVER seen option quotes lagging 5 seconds for active options. Perhaps this has not been an issue for the lack of "fast" markets recently. I trade based on TAL's option quotes and I would know if the quotes were lagging 5 seconds (I would miss trades constantly if this were the case). On the inactive options, ones with ZERO open interest, the quotes will often lag, and this lag can last for several minutes. This is because TAL drops them when things get a little active.

In terms of TAL's equity quotes, I have noticed a lag in fast markets and a smaller lag in normal markets. As I said earlier for me, IB's equity quotes tend to be slightly ahead of TAL's.

I compared data via DDE and their respective platforms about a month ago.

Perhaps it is time to run some more tests.......

#53     May 6, 2002
  4. They didn't give a precise date, but my understanding is that some people are testing it presently. That would be for the trading interface, not the quotes. Also probably not for complicated option tickets.

http://board.quotetracker.com/board/ubbthreads.php

#54     May 6, 2002
  5. We switched a server over months ago to TAL, there absolutely is a problem, with what you are trading maybe you haven't noticed it; however they still are the best retail feed and would be on the top of my list for an independant trader.

#55     May 6, 2002
  6. Mskl,

In all fairness, before someone gets the wrong idea; that comparision is against a professional feed with dedicated on-site servers and PTP connections.

But, that is the edge ...

#56     May 6, 2002
  7. Catoosa

Catoosa

I compare IB and TAL quotes on stocks each day during trading hours. I do not follow options; So, I can not offer any information on options.

Catoosa

#57     May 6, 2002
  8. mskl

mskl

There is an edge - and for the money you guys spend, you deserve an edge.

However, the edge isn't that great. maybe 1/2 second to one second at the most.

If you actually think that IB's quotes are slow, simply do the test I have suggested on the PSE for options and for equities find a stock and enter a limit order via ISLAND and you will see there isn't much of a delay.

I don't want to argue anymore about this, but simply do the test and find out for yourself. IB's equity quotes are NOT regularly three seconds behind. Right now, in this quiet market, they are maybe 1/2 second behind which can probably be explained by my internet connection.

#58     May 6, 2002
  9. Thinking of switching to IB, but need to figure something out. If you use ESignal for quotes, and do not receive quotes from IB itself, I assume you can't just click on a bid or ask to automatically load a price (like you can in CyberTrader). So if you are bidding for a fast moving stock, you have to keep manually typing in a new bid price every time?? (CyberTrader bid/ask order entry automatically moves with the market!)

Anyone have this problem trading with IB?

Thanks

#59     May 6, 2002
  10. I agree with most of what you are saying.

The test you propose assumes a live order, that you already have requested and qued the symbol on, which may or may not have equal or higher priority than a request for quote, as in when you first enter the symbol.

Last week I found out that at TN, when you want to send an order on a symbol for the first time during the log-in session, there is a delay because the system querries the server for contract information, even though you provide that from another feed.

You really never know all of the wierd things these systems do until you run into the problem.

#60     May 6, 2002