IB's Front End Software

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by quicktrader12, Apr 16, 2002.

1. dough

dough Guest

I use IB and Datek for my trades and have found that Datek level 2 screen often lags IB data by 20 seconds or more. I find using these 2 brokers for comparison that IB is far better on there data feeds. However this past week I have experienced outages of certain enc feeds more frequent and nyse was down for at least 30 mins a beleive it was Wed. Im beginning to doubt their reliability.

doug:D

#11     May 5, 2002
  2. Nitro

Would you please elaborate a little? You think the java based software is good? The reason I am asking is that I am having problems with TWS freezing up and was wondering if java had anything to do with it. I know nothing about programming.

As far as TWS in general, I love it. Please dont change anything.

#12     May 5, 2002
  3. H2O

H2O

I asked this question a few days agoo and I got offered a solution by www.stockheart.net (I've not got into detail with them but perhaps all of us together can make things work)

They offered me to write front end execution software with integrated level II execution, charting and the other usual stuff for about $120,- / month. This software will be compatible with every data providor you want (select) and will send its orders direct into IB.

Sounds a good deal to me with the only problem being you can only use BEST execution in IB.

Anyone interested ?? Then lets go together and contact them.

#13     May 5, 2002
  4. Hello,

In your bio it says your a develloper(sic), what exactly do you develop?

#14     May 5, 2002
  5. #15     May 5, 2002
  6. Hey, you're making assumptions here, but not much of an argument. In retrospect, I should have known better than criticizing Java. This is guaranteed to turn into a religious argument (Windows bad, Java good) and I have not much taste for pissing contests :) Nevertheless, as a Windows user, I see no percentage in using Java: only a loss of functionalities and the necessity to add an emulator to my Windows platform, in order to run Java. Java is great for vendors because they can supply the same software across platforms, but that's at the expense of the user. On the positive side, users get to see some bugs that until now they never knew existed :p

As for the part about I don't know what I'm talking about... That's where you're making unwarranted assumptions. Are you saying that because you like Java, anyone who does not agree with you is necessarily ignorant and a layman? I work in the software industry, know a good deal about user interfaces, and have been exposed to Java in and out of work (the IB trading interface is a good example), I am making a criticism that is as valid as your own opinion, which by the way is not that Java is good because of this or that, but that "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about" and I should "go get a CS degree". What kind of argument is that? Mind you, I have heard most if not all the pro arguments before, but I am a practical guy. You can tell me that a Yugo is the best thing since sliced bread because you can drive it from point A to point B and you have a degree in mechanics and I am an ignorant bum. But at the end of the day, it's still a freaking Yugo and I don't want it.

It turns out that paperwork-wise, I am as well equipped as you are I'm sure, maybe even better (but quantity does not mean quality though :D). And if you're a young man I've been at it longer than you have, 'cause I'm no spring chicken any more :D. In any case, I make a living in the industry and I'll stand by my opinion of Java. But it's just that: my opinion...

To keep things on the investment topic here, you could have made a few bucks these past few years bucking the trend in the market against the Java and Linux hype. When there's money on the line, that's when religious arguments get old fast. Are people putting their money down to buy the stuff, or not? Money talks... Unless you want to tell me that it's all a big Microsoft conspiracy? I've heard this one before, many times.

The argument about coding in VB (or something other than it) does not hold water. That's a religious argument. So you like coding in Java and you think it's great. Nothing wrong with that. If you can make a living coding Java, you probably have enough skills to make a living coding anything you want. But users don't really care what a program is written with. Generally, I don't either. I look at what's on my desktop. Is it buggy? Is it better than a native program for me? Do I need to add an extra layer of potentially buggy stuff (Sun Java) to interact with my native OS? That's the acid test.

Now, I didn't say that IB's trading interface is terrible or badly conceived. That's not the point. The point is that it probably would be a lot better had it been written specifically for Windows.

So, no hard feelings and how about we say that you and I disagree on Java and let it at that? It's no big deal to me and eventually the market will decide the question, not you or me :cool:

This aside and to change the subject, what do you think about IB sending monthly account activities statements via plain email? I see my full name and address, login name, and account number in there. Amazing and very scary to me. The account password is the last protection, everything else is compromised. Is there a thread on this? Someone else must have noticed.

ElvisOnMargin

#16     May 5, 2002
  7. xstek

xstek

I trade NAS, on Terra-MB, Realtick. I was thinking about moving my account to I.B. Tickquest supposedly has I.B. support and order interface on the Neo Ticker 2.8. The Neo software has all of the technicals that I trade with.
    But I have a question about the reliability of the I.B. quotes. It would seem that, on this board at least, there are serious issues regarding I.B. quote reliability. So I would like to ask current I.B. users that trade NAS equities, if a move to I.B. would be a good idea at this time, or should I wait until these issues are resolved.

thanx

xstek

#17     May 5, 2002
  8. IB's quotes suck ...

#18     May 5, 2002
  9. mskl

mskl

compared to what???

Hyperfeed.........

#19     May 5, 2002
  10. The really suck compared to that, but I was referring to some of the retail feeds. We use to have traders poking around on TWS with a side by side feed for comparision; in a fast market IB was usually the laggard.

Are you still interested in off-shore? I was approached by some guys setting up a BD in Nassau for high volume traders; PM me if you are.

#20     May 5, 2002