IB's Data Feed Sucks

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by ANCHOR, Oct 3, 2002.

1. ANCHOR

ANCHOR

Download QuoteTracker version 2.5.0d. It is their bata and it seems to work good. Good luck using IB's data. Unless your not a big tape reader then I guess it not that bad. I just got use to watching a fast tape with esignal and to go from that to IB's feed, I can't do it.

#11     Oct 3, 2002
  2. spencer

spencer

Not only does IB's data feed suck when it's actually up and running but it has piss-poor system integrity. The damn thing is always going down. IB is extremely unreliable as a data feed.

#12     Oct 4, 2002
  3. arzoo

arzoo

Anchor,

Let me get this straight. Use quotetracker which takes stock feeds from datek (I know how quote tracker works, but never used it heavily). Then use IB's futures feed (which is ok).

All this time, ib will be the broker, where I'll put orders thru. using their standalone app. I'm still having problems with their demo installation so I'm not too familiar with all the functions yet.

I wont need datek's streamer in any way since I get the feeds off quotetracker (via datek) anyways. right?

Am I correct in understanding this?

Thanks a lot.

#13     Oct 4, 2002
  4. Andre

Andre

Download QuoteTracker version 2.5.0d. It is their bata and it seems to work good. Good luck using IB's data. Unless your not a big tape reader then I guess it not that bad. I just got use to watching a fast tape with esignal and to go from that to IB's feed, I can't do it.

ANCHOR, interesting that you commented on being a tape reader. I'm not, but I've been seeing more things that I feel I can trade on recently, by looking at Level II screens. Thanks for your comments on QT and Data feeds.

#14     Oct 4, 2002
  5. prox

prox

Datek charges an inactivity fee per quarter, so leaving $10 in the account doesn't really make the streaming free. IB has satisfactory streaming, but Datek is noticeably faster and allows more than 40 symbols at a time. However, Datek doesn't do futures feeds.

#15     Oct 24, 2002
  6. dlincke

dlincke

To clear up a few things:

IB's feed for stocks is not ticky by tick but a snapshot feed updating approcimately once per second. Their Globex feed (NQ, ES etc.), however, recently has been upgraded to a tick by tick feed. It's lightning fast and constantily significantly ahead of qcharts and esignal. This only holds true for their TWS, though, and does not translate to API based applications like QT, DDE links etc. since the API limits message traffic to 50 per second (one message every 2 milliseconds) thus effectively throttling the feed.

#16     Oct 24, 2002
  7. Are you sure IB's Globex quotes are now tick by tick? IB's quotes have always been fast but I haven't noticed that they are now updating any more than the stated snapshot every .7 seconds. Has this been announced somewhere by IB or is this just from your observation?

Thanks,

#17     Oct 24, 2002
  8. dlincke

dlincke

In addition to being obvious to the observer this was announced and confirmed recently by an IB rep on their discussion boards.

#18     Oct 25, 2002
  9. alanm

alanm

dlincke said:
    IB's feed for stocks is not ticky by tick but a snapshot feed updating approcimately once per second. Their Globex feed (NQ, ES etc.), however, recently has been upgraded to a tick by tick feed.

Actually, I think everyone is probably now getting the faster stock quotes, too, which are near-real-time, but I believe still snapshots. They just shortened the interval. Are you sure GLOBEX is tick-by-tick? I'll check it tomorrow, since my Excel app records a T&S log which I can compare with the CME.

This only holds true for their TWS, though, and does not translate to API based applications like QT, DDE links etc. since the API limits message traffic to 50 per second (one message every 2 milliseconds) thus effectively throttling the feed.

Are you sure about this? I thought this only applied to messages going into TWS so as not to overwhelm it. I can't think why they would limit the messages coming out of TWS.

#19     Oct 25, 2002
  10. I found a thread that talks about the quote change on the IB discussion forum:

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/discus/messages/3/4237.html#POST13101

I'm still on an older version of the TWS, which is why I don't see the faster quotes. It appears you need to upgrade at least to version 778.1 to get the faster quotes.

Also, 50 per second is every 20 milliseconds.

#20     Oct 25, 2002