IB's Canadian Registration..............

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by mskl, Nov 28, 2001.

1. I had the pleasure tonight of telling a campaigner for Ernie Eves that he would be the last candidate for leader of the Ontario PC party that I would vote for. The reason being that he blew me off when he was Ontario Treasurer and I wrote to him to protest the way the OSC was depriving Ontarians of access to US brokers.

What goes around comes around, Ernie.

#11     Nov 30, 2001
  2. biggs

biggs

#12     Dec 20, 2001
  3. Months pass.... no approvals...what a joke these Cdn securities regulators are.

I think its been almost a YEAR.

#13     Feb 2, 2002
  4. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

cdntrader. on the contrary, They are VERY GOOD at blocking competition and defend their local brokers (and members) while sc**ing us all.

tntneo

#14     Feb 2, 2002
  5. Perhaps Def will tell us what was the result of the January meeting.

#15     Feb 2, 2002
  6. def

def Sponsor

there was no result. i was told we handed in the response to the previous deficiency letter in Dec on time to be considered for the Jan meeting but apparantly they were too busy or we were to late to get on their agenda. IB approval is on the agenda for the Feb meeting. I am also told that we are confident that we have answered or met all of their requirements (but then again I thougt that was the case last august).

So the official line is: We think we should be approved in Feb. If not Feb, March. If not March, April and so on. I think they meet towards the middle of the month. If/when I hear anything I'll make a post.

#16     Feb 3, 2002
  7. We confirm that neither Datek Canada Brokerage Services Inc. nor Interactive Brokers are currently registered with the OSC.

On average, registration is completed within a few weeks but the process can be longer depending on the facts in each individual case. Very generally, the process involves an application for registration that includes certain documents and evidence required to support it. Staff in the registration unit of the OSC review the material, seek clarification of any issues arising from the application, and make a decision. The OSC may also require additional individual requirements as appropriate in the circumstances.

Dear Sir or Madam:

Thank you for your follow-up inquiry to the Ontario Securities Commission ("OSC") concerning the registration process. A further review of your matter has been conducted by Commission staff and I welcome this opportunity to reply.

The registration process does not involve the convening of any special meetings. Registration applications can be approved at any time subject to satisfaction of the Commission's requirements.

I appreciate the time you have taken to again contact the Ontario Securities Commission using our on-line inquiry service and we look forward to serving you again. As previously mentioned, should you require additional information you may contact the Commission by e-mail at inquiries@osc.gov.on.ca, as you have done, or by telephone at 416-593-8314.

Yours Sincerely,

Jeff Fennell
    Lead Inquiries Officer

#17     Feb 3, 2002
  8. Def would you please confirm that it is the Ontario Securities Commission that IB is dealing with in this regard. If not, which organization is considering the application? If it is Ontario I can complain to my elected representative. If another provincial organization is taking the lead, there may be others here who live in that province and who can complain.

#18     Feb 3, 2002
  9. Goblin

Goblin

OSC has no guts, just cowtowing to the banks.
    Canadians gets shafted again and again.
    Banks have unrestricted access to our wallets.
    Its disgusting.

#19     Feb 3, 2002
  10. So what are you doing about it? Unless we complain to our securities regulators, prvincial ministers of finance, provincial regulators and news media, the stall is likely to continue. I have complained to all of the above and urge others to do the same.

#20     Feb 3, 2002