IB's 4% Intraday Initial Margin Req. for Index Futures

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Bitstream, Aug 24, 2007.

1. gov

gov

You are just being an ass, and your post doesn't even address the issues in my post; therefore I will not grace it with a direct reply. I will say this, however. I have generally not been pleased with the amount of slippage I get through IB. I think their risk control implementation adds critical milliseconds, resulting in poorer fills, especially as you begin to push the limits of the contract, i.e. 20-50 say in ER2.

Secondly, I do not like the way they interpret the margin rules, and I believe this interpretation results in a disadvantage to IB futures traders. These are only my observations, and they are valid for me alone. YMMV.

They are wonderful for many reasons, but I personally wouldn't trade futures through them. I have found their data feed to keep up the best with x-trader, fwiw. Their smart routing rarely gives any issues, and their options pricing is very good. I really dislike how they give often nearly no notice to rule changes. I would really hate to be sitting there calculating my position at 10 minutes before market open, only to get a bulletin saying margins have been changed. That is annoying. I would hope for at least an 18 hour notice (close to open, for instance). Just my thoughts.

#21     Sep 1, 2007
  2. vectors101

vectors101 Guest

only reason to lower intra-day margins is they want you to deposit more cash into your brokerage account so they can use your money to trade their own acount.

for intra-day trading margins don't matter...

it's just like currency trading..it's the traders responsiblity to trade accordingly not the brokers problem. it has nothing to do with volaitlity or the broker is trying to protect you...

#22     Sep 1, 2007
  3. vectors101

vectors101 Guest

The profits come from trading their own account but the cash you deposit into your account is paid in interest and they get to use your cash when you are not using it to trade.. majority of people don't daytrade.

#23     Sep 1, 2007
  4. vectors101

vectors101 Guest

Interactive Brokers is mostly a retail broker. and their clients are retail clients that have jobs outside trading. they can't daytrade when they are working. in a 9-5 job and you can't trade on saturdays or sundays (most people don't trade on sundays in US). with ibkr

#24     Sep 1, 2007
  5. mde2004

mde2004

The slippage has nothing to do with the TWS platform and ES has the most liquidity out of all the index futures.

I think you are just losing money and trying to blame it on your broker.:p

#25     Sep 1, 2007
  6. inPeace

inPeace

Good point!

it seems that some of the index futures have already been back to 50% intraday margin req.

#26     Sep 1, 2007
  7. def

def Sponsor

Vector101, you make a number of inaccurate statements in your posts but the one above is so false and mis-leading that I'll comment.

You clearly don't understand the term segregation of accounts nor have the ability to read a financial statement. Under no circumstance does IBG's proprietary trading division utilize funds deposited under the brokerage division to trade.

#27     Sep 1, 2007
  8. But how big of an account do you have to have with TS?

In their Futures Margins Requirements they now list $1000 day trade
    rate with "*call for details" for ER2, ES, YM...

Plus I have heard their trade execution speed is slowwww....

#28     Sep 1, 2007
  9. Maybe they believe the terrorists will hit pretty soon as advertised by the gov...

#29     Sep 1, 2007
  10. V101 - the epitome of ignorance.

#30     Sep 1, 2007