IBKR

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by SoesWasBetter, Feb 26, 2018.

1. zdreg

zdreg

please provide facts to support the above statement.

#11     Feb 27, 2018
    Visaria and Humble Investor like this.
  2. zdreg

zdreg

take a look at the capital position of other brokers. check their fixed costs. your reply is so far off the mark as to be.....

#12     Feb 27, 2018
  3. JackRab

JackRab

If another broker links up with a big market maker they can take advantage of their global connectivity and have a lower cost base. Capital-wise, sure IB has a very good capital position... and some clients will definitely look at that... especially the bigger ones. But nothing that can't be raised....

I don't see it as a monopoly... there are plenty of other large brokerages... what's IB's market share? My guess it's nowhere near something one would call a monopoly share.... but I'm happy to be proven wrong mate.

#13     Feb 27, 2018
  4. Not true. Robinhood provides free commission for their customers. IBKR, however cheap their commission, cannot compete with free Robinhood, at least in terms of price. I know of many millennials recommending Robinhood as their broker for buying U.S stocks.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    #14     Feb 28, 2018
  5. d08

d08

It's not only about price. For many types of traders IB is far from cheap.

For me it's their services like the API which I find to be extremely useful. While other platforms have APIs too, they don't seem to be as well thought out.

Lightspeed for example seems to be focused on point-and-click traders and if you want something more, platform costs come into play.

Many also differentiate between US and international customers. Costs for international customers are often higher and they're treated as second class customers. I don't get this impression with IB and obviously this is helping their bottom line.

#15     Feb 28, 2018
  6. d08

d08

Different markets. IB is clearly going for the people doing more frequent trading, professionals.
    Robinhood's market are people buying Snapchat on a whim. Not to mention Robinhood's services are limited to an extreme, you couldn't actively trade with them.

#16     Feb 28, 2018
    zdreg likes this.
  7. Yeah free commision but you are paying for it through payment for order flow and missed trades. No one can match IB's pricing, technology, depth of product offering and capital position.

#17     Feb 28, 2018
    MoreLeverage and d08 like this.
  8. As a trader, I find IB to be way way ahead of the rest of the retail (and much of the semi-pro) field of brokers. eveyone else is a far distant second or worse. That's when I bought IBKR stock, although clearly not enough.

#18     Feb 28, 2018

9. Why isnt TWS point and click?

Looks like point and click to me.

#19     Mar 1, 2018
  10. d08

d08

TWS might be point and click but that's just one of their products. Their API seems to have more traction than competitors, probably helped due to the fact that it's available in most popular languages.

#20     Mar 1, 2018