IBKR Smart route and order fills.

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by TheBigShort, Jan 5, 2019.

1. No, haven't tried options, equities only.

#31     Jan 7, 2019
  2. elt894

elt894

The legs are never split across exchanges unless I explicitly allow that and assume responsibility for partial executions.

What I meant is if I enter an order for, say, 10 vertical spreads it gets set to the complex order books of 4 or 5 exchanges for a couple contracts each. I start with a price I know won't get filled and walk it up a penny at a time. Then at some price they all get filled at once. Like @FSU posted, I would expect the exchange with the lowest fees for my counterparty to get filled first, but this isn't what I usually see.

#32     Jan 7, 2019
  3. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Tested a direct order today straight to the CBOE COB 231 Fly. Filled instantly @ mid. Thanks everyone for your insight!! Going to also keep you guys updated with my next earnings trade as liquidity is usually thin and I am forced to raise/drop my price.

#33     Jan 7, 2019
    jtrader33 likes this.
  4. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

I placed a few butterflys on MSM today for earnings tomorrow. What I did was placed an order on CBOE and a order on SMART. Filled at CBOE, my order was still hanging out at PHLX via the smart route. It's unfortunate many people are not aware of this.

#34     Jan 8, 2019
    cesfx likes this.
  5. FSU

FSU

Great to hear. This is another reason you should make sure you are not paying a "ticket charge" along with commissions. It allows you to work small orders on different exchanges to find the best price.

#35     Jan 8, 2019
  6. destriero

destriero

Yeah, PHLX pays for IB routing. There is no other explanation for the number of orders that route to PHLX via SMART. I already PMed, but I use SMART first and cancel/route to CBOE if I believe the order to be marketable but unfilled after say, 20 seconds.

I will add that PLHX either won't fill anything or they will inexplicably trade inside your limit order. More so than any other opex.

#36     Jan 8, 2019
    cesfx likes this.
  7. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Thanks for the responses @destriero. IB throws on an additional charge per contract for direct route, but in my opinion it's totally worth it:Especially for the 231 Flys which seem to almost never get filled near mid via SMART.

#37     Jan 8, 2019
    Adam777 and destriero like this.
  8. Fain

Fain

Again this is an anecdotal way to judge execution quality and price improvement over Nbbo. If you sent a lot of orders using both SMART route and direct to CBOE then run a report on the previous executions. You are misleading yourself if your determining execution quality that way. Take all away the gut feeling and run the numbers in aggregate. Not just a few examples. Transaction cost analysis(tca).

#38     Jan 9, 2019
  9. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Thanks fain, I have a lot of trades using SMART in past. So after a few weeks of direct routing, I'll post the TCA here.

#39     Jan 9, 2019
  10. raf_bcn

raf_bcn

Interesting thread, thank you @TheBigShort
    My Strategy Builder only have the possibility of smart routing. How do you choose the route ?
    If I place an individual option order I have the chance to choose the routing but not if it's a combo order.

#40     Jan 9, 2019