IBKR Lite now has access to TWS

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by damoonrulz1, Dec 23, 2019.

1. In TWS for the Lite folks there is no level 1 or level 2 data, you have to pay for that (as of now, thinking that might change). You do get the real time quotes though.

#11     Dec 24, 2019
  2. anyone has experience using ameitrade api?

#12     Dec 24, 2019
  3. If only options were free... *sigh* :(

#13     Dec 24, 2019
  4. R1234

R1234

I'm forced into using PRO because I have an entity account. Most of my trading is done MOC which I'm paying a per share commission. I can trade MOC anywhere now for free. Just moved a large chunk money to Fidelity. Likely move out all of it in early 2020.

#14     Dec 24, 2019
    Maverick2608 likes this.
  5. So with IBKR Lite you get access to TWS but no smart routing option?

#15     Dec 24, 2019
  6. That will be the next battleground for brokers no doubt.

#16     Dec 24, 2019
  7. ET180

ET180

I looked into it, they really don't want to release it to their retail traders. I don't recall the details, but there was a lot of hoops to jump through. Better off buying 3rd party data from IQ Feed or some other source.

#17     Dec 24, 2019
    qlai likes this.
  8. abotarga

abotarga

IB Pro supports institutional accounts, better margin rates, better order execution, API and advanced order types. Until IB Lite is on par with IB Pro, I'll continue to pay commissions.

Which one is best is really going to depend on the type of trading you do.

#18     Dec 28, 2019
    IB_CAM and def like this.
  9. abotarga

abotarga

IQFeed is very reliable. If I was starting over I'd look more into Polygon.io. I wouldn't bother too much with free data sources.

#19     Dec 28, 2019
  10. Does anyone with a Lite account know if the API built into TWS works? I trade mostly through Multicharts via API/gateway (which, as I understand, isn't supported). But if the TWS api link works, it'd save me a good chunk on commissions.

#20     Feb 13, 2020