IBD turns completely bearish

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Biog, Jan 6, 2008.

1. toc

toc

Sp500 around 1200 should be roughly 50% Gann correction from the mid 2002 rise.

#11     Jan 7, 2008
  2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

They offer several pretty good products for "institutional" types, I've heard they are very good, but cost ALOT more than $250 per year.

#12     Jan 7, 2008
  3. A friend I grew up with works for Bill O'Neil out in L.A. I think it costs around 60k a year to get the good stuff.

#13     Jan 7, 2008
  4. Biog

Biog

Yes, but IBD did save you another 1000 point drop.

:D :D :D

#14     Jan 22, 2008
  5. piezoe

piezoe

I don't like being negative, but i would like to save ET folks some money. I've had a subscription to IBD in the past. I discovered that virtually every thing they offer in the way of stock scans is available on the web at considerably less outlay. Also, having read O'Neil's book, my personal opinion is that it is badly outdated. For example, he advises against investing in foreign companies! I have always wondered if he did not make his real money from promoting himself rather than investing. Also,it is only fair that i tell you that the editorials are radically conservative, almost to the point of being reactionary, and these annoyed me to the point that i don't think I can be really fair when it comes to the topic of IBD. I can tell you something that is objective, however, and that is that their web site and software is very badly out of date, and when you drop a subscription to IBD they will call you and pressure you to resubscribe. Not something i appreciated.:mad:

#15     Jan 22, 2008
  6. Lat e 80's early ninetys they advocating low priced stocks with small floats because they'd move faster. They evolve a lot of stuff, and yes, their institutional stuff is top notch. I loved it when I could get it.

They started the paper in, I think 85 because in Aug of 82, one of O'neils guy got a WSJ, and couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. It was great for a long time. But, the web has much of the stuff for free. I've got a password from a friend who subscribes, and never uses it, so it's free to me, and I never use it. But, it was great for its time, and it's good for new folks or people investing their money on a part time basis.

#16     Jan 22, 2008
  7. SteveD

SteveD

O'Neill probably advised more institutional investors than anyone around....when people talk of a "group" it is IBD's grouping they are referring....

He buys stocks that have increasing revenue, increasing profits and a relative small float, DUH....

He is probably the first and best momentum investor....combines technical and fundamentals....

IBD tries to give you some ideas to explore...

He is not a daytrader.....but he is rich....

IMHO,

SteveD

#17     Jan 22, 2008
  8. pismo10

pismo10

CANSLIM invests in high flyers, small, high growth, high relative strength stocks during bull markets, it works great sometimes, not others. If earnings miss by a penny, they drop 50% in one tick.

#18     Jan 22, 2008
  9. Everyone is bearish now. We are due for a rally.

#19     Jan 22, 2008
  10. S2007S

S2007S

hmmm, well they were still late.....no need to get bearish after the fact, its like getting bullish at 13850 after the market sold off 20%, when you can get bullish tomorrow at dow 11800.

#20     Jan 23, 2008