Ib

Discussion in 'Options' started by dagnyt, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Schedule D involves much more than just formatting. It requires complex calculations, and legal and accounting interpretations, which cannot be easily automated. Most accountants don't even know how to do a correct Schedule D for people who trade a lot. You either need to learn to do it yourself, or you need an accountant with special expertise in doing returns for traders.

#11     Sep 30, 2005
  2. Thanks for the feedback, but paying an accountant is unreasonable.

Of course, I can do it myself.

All I am looking for is for the broker to supply the data on one line, instead of two. And for that broker to take into account partial closing of posiitons.

I want to find a way to rearrange the data that IB supplies, so that I can avoid the time-consuming effort of filling out the Schedule D.

Mark

#12     Sep 30, 2005
  3. if you trade options you are not making that many trades. you can do what i do. every day i enter my trades into a schedule d. takes about 10 min. at tax time its all done and it is accurate because the trade was entered when it was fresh in your mind, not a year later.

#13     Sep 30, 2005
  4. Thank you.

I once added my daily trades to an Excel worksheet, but I make thousands of trades every year, and keeping up on a dairly basis proved too tedious.

Still, I think the idea is a good one and I may revert to that method for 2006.

Thank you,

Mark

#14     Sep 30, 2005
  5. def

def Sponsor

as the sched D seems to be an issue for active options traders, perhaps you can send me a PM with an example of what you're looking for. I'll pass it along to see if there is a way to accomodate.

#15     Sep 30, 2005
  6. For IB users: what times of the day (USA time) can you enter option orders for USA option markets? TIA.

#16     Oct 1, 2005
  7. You can submit an order any time, but (obviously) it can be filled only during hours when the market is open (9:30 Am to 4:02 PM, New Your time).

Mark

#17     Oct 2, 2005