IB will eliminate intraday margin reductions. Commencing at 12:00 EST today

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Tums, Jul 15, 2008.

1. I'm glad that IB is protecting itself and its customers against risk, and adapting its risk control policies to changing markets.

It seems like a lot of people on this website have learned nothing from watching what has happened to major financial institutions who used too much leverage and were wiped out, or nearly so, by their gambling.

#51     Jul 15, 2008
  2. tortoise

tortoise

it's a marketing gimmick, nothing more. and a damn canny one, i might add...

#52     Jul 15, 2008
  3. nassau

nassau

IT is not only the move in CL.
    YM, ER 2, Z all move the same as CL did today several times a month, wk.
    IB or any broker can and does change margin at their discretion. It is their margin being offered.
    Prior to the move and the bulletin I was up just under 8k at 11a.m. ended up just over 2k and consider myself very lucky.
    as the drop place me well over 20k.

w

#53     Jul 15, 2008
  4. nassau

nassau

I would agree with you totally. Unfortunately the reason is that the market is retracing imo and not buying.
    and it is a constant rebalancing of their books to stay in compliance. I personally hate it but understand.

The last 2 months has diffently change the traders here style especially with reference to futures.

w

#54     Jul 15, 2008
  5. I second that sentiment. This site has lost a lot of credibility with those of us who don't trade with IB.

#55     Jul 15, 2008
  6. cstfx

cstfx

Because they have to keep fixing the bugs in the non-beta TWS releases every few months or so.

:D

#56     Jul 15, 2008
  7. I think that you are the same idiot that always posts something ridiculous and creates new nicks as the old ones become unwelcome.

Congrats on posting something stupid in your 2nd (or is it your 1000th) post.

#57     Jul 15, 2008
  8. what they have done is increase the cost of capital requirement for this 'business' if you can call it by 300% for intra-day trading.

There aren't enough new traders opening accounts with IB. Limited capital and limited amount of traders that can trade with limited capital.

#58     Jul 15, 2008
  9. companies like IB are market makers of options and futures.

they need new money or new traders to replace traders who've left the arena or trading pits of hell.

#59     Jul 15, 2008
  10. they just you to deposit more money. period! there are a few futures and forex brokers that make their money totally on commissions.

IB is a market maker so do expect to be on the other side of the trade. most other market makers don't like IB. so if you trade with IB you get creamed in the market.

#60     Jul 15, 2008