IB will eliminate intraday margin reductions. Commencing at 12:00 EST today

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Tums, Jul 15, 2008.

1. As a business, I'd hate to have myself levered up so that the first volatile thing that happens I'm out of business.

But let's not blame IB for protecting their business just because you and others want to roll the dice.

OldTrader

#31     Jul 15, 2008
  2. That's the best you got old man? Calling me and all other INTRADAY traders gamblers?

And no I don't blame IB for running their business as they see fit. But if the running of their business affects the core of my business adversely, I wouldn't just shrug my shoulders.

#32     Jul 15, 2008
  3. I agree 100%

Oh and OldTrader not all of us want to be "old" traders.

#33     Jul 15, 2008
  4. Let me go back over what you evidently missed when you read my post.

No one running a business levers it up such that extreme volatility would put him out of business. Read that line two or three times. So if you're counting on $2250 margin to trade the ES, or $500, or whatever, it's not a business. You're rolling the dice.

But I did not say that all intraday traders are gamblers. Just those that use minimum intraday margins.

OldTrader

#34     Jul 15, 2008
  5. LOL! Don't worry...you won't be.

OldTrader

#35     Jul 15, 2008
  6. Tums

Tums

LOL
    What are you going to do? Transfer your money out ???
    Close your account ???

#36     Jul 15, 2008
  7. intraday initial margin for ER2 is now $5200/lot ?

#37     Jul 15, 2008
  8. me1969

me1969

No, it is $5250.

By the way, OldTrader, you and other experienced traders are the only reason why it is worthwhile to visit this forum from time to time.
    As the saying goes there are the old traders and the bold traders.

#38     Jul 15, 2008
  9. So to be sure I understand this old-geezer way of thinking...

To determine whether or not a trader is gambling or trading is directly correlated and determined by the amount of money used to make a trade.

#39     Jul 15, 2008
  10. me1969

me1969

I guess it is more about risk management.
    There are pro gamblers who have an edge and can play it because they handle the risk right.

#40     Jul 15, 2008