IB website down and can't relogin to TWS once being logged out

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by gmst, Jan 8, 2013.

1. gkishot

gkishot

Tws works fine but have issues with account management login.

#11     Jan 9, 2013
  2. Also having connection problems occasionly during the last days.
    Disconnect lasting for something between 2-30 minutes then reconnect.
    (Location: Europe)

Didn't have such problems before.

#12     Jan 9, 2013
  3. Update, called six times today. i still have no access to tws or account management. Was told not really a compliance issue. Now i am at mercey how soon ib progammer can look at and solve the problem.

#13     Jan 9, 2013
  4. ktm

ktm

Sounds odd. Please keep us posted.

#14     Jan 10, 2013
  5. gmst

gmst

Just wanted to update

I was able to login after around 5 hours. I am really not sure what happened, but it seems to me that it was a McAfee issue. McAfee on my computer was blocking connection attempts from interactive brokers.

#15     Jan 10, 2013
  6. gkishot

gkishot

Did you get any warnings from McAfee software?

#16     Jan 10, 2013
  7. Something like "Install at your own risk"? lol

#17     Jan 10, 2013
  8. Bob111

Bob111

McAfee issue is a piece of s** . there is a reason it's free and offered as an automatic installation at adobe flash website.

don't want any problems? separate PC for casual internet browsing and trading one. keep trading Pc free of any other software that you are not using for your trading. i wasn't even browsing yahoo finance or any other similar websites from trading PC. OS,trading platform and components that are needed to run them. that's it.
    spend 10-15-25$ for another router and put this Pc on separate network. any old router would work fine

#18     Jan 10, 2013
  9. gmst

gmst

No I did not and that is why it took me so long to figure out what was the issue. Btw, I still guess this is the issue and am not really sure if this is the true reason for the issue.

I did a complete system scan with mcafee and Ad-aware and they found nothing. I googled the error, many people have witnessed this error before. And there are unfortunately no clean solutions as far as I know.

Then I looked into

If you have McAfee, go to Navigation on top right corner of the software. Then, Security History. I see many messages like below:

"Suspicious Incoming Network Connection Blocked
    Source IP Address 208.245.107.3
    The PC gw1.ibllc.com tried to access your system port TCP port 50699. If you want to allow this traffic, either trust the IP address or open the port in the System Services in Firewall."

What makes me uncertain if McAfee was the reason for not being able to access TWS and IB website is that I got the same message in my McAfee just an hour ago also. And my access to TWS and IB website is fine today.

Also, yesterday when I was not able to access TWS, I disabled McAfee firewall, but it did not resolve the problem. So, I am not 100% sure if it was McAfee or if it was due to something else.

LESSON 1: I need to have another PC on another internet network (maybe a mobile connection to deal with such problems in future, when I might have a position.)
    LESSON 2: I must always maintain a stop order in the market.

#19     Jan 10, 2013
  10. gmst

gmst

Yes, it is good advice. But even on trading PC, you would have an antivirus - correct? And McAfee is top-notch antivirus, I agree even I got it for free as a promotion offer. :)

#20     Jan 10, 2013