IB wait times suck

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by SoesWasBetter, Dec 27, 2017.

1. zdreg

zdreg

more likely there is an internet interruption e.g. data feed from the exchanges
    what is a timely manner in a fast moving market?

there is no retail trading desk capable of handling a massive inflow of calls in a timely manner.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    #21     Dec 28, 2017
    spindr0 likes this.
  2. Gambit

Gambit

Fair point...

#22     Dec 29, 2017
  3. Gambit

Gambit

Inclement weather is a real problem. Did you try turning your smart phone into a hotspot? I use that as a back up. And I bought business class internet fwiw.

#23     Dec 29, 2017
    VPhantom likes this.
  4. d08

d08

Primary connection wired, backup mobile (3G/4G). Mobile towers have generators in most places. Also good to live in a place that has diesel generators in the basement.

#24     Dec 29, 2017
    Gambit likes this.
  5. d08

d08

There are times when you need to call. For me it was getting the security card shipped to me, I don't remember why exactly but I needed to call in.

#25     Dec 29, 2017
  6. spindr0

spindr0

During the GFC I only had one ISP. Because of the volatility, it was not unusual for me to have 15-20+ open orders at a time. My ISP went down and I was a bit freaked. Oddly, the fills I got during the outage were in my favor. Murphy's Law dictates that such fortune should not occur.

Since then, I have carried two ISPs and consider the add'l fee to be the price of peace of mind.

#26     Dec 29, 2017
    Gambit likes this.
  7. zdreg

zdreg

murphy's law works in reverse for traders. most trader's would be more profitable if their ISP
    were down 95%of the day.

#27     Dec 29, 2017
  8. spindr0

spindr0

LMAO. I have no smart ass retort for that. :D

#28     Dec 29, 2017
  9. This isn't and has never been IB's model. Also - if you need general advice on options strategy from your broker, you're asking for trouble IMHO.

#29     Dec 30, 2017
    Gambit likes this.
  10. Gambit

Gambit

I agree. I didn't mean general advice like "what's the difference between a put and a call or how do I put on a vertical spread?" but I can see how you interpret my comment that way.

Just comparing and contrasting. And I believe Lightspeed offers discount rates as well equal to IB or better. I'm speaking about the level of customer service. At the same commission rate or cheaper.

#30     Dec 30, 2017
    alex314159 likes this.