IB vs TradeStation

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by APlusProgrammer, May 6, 2007.

1. Maybe to start with TS is easier, but in the long run IB must be far more flxible since the API opens up nearly every functionality available. I think with TS you are limited to what the Eaylanguage enigne is capable of, while with IB you are not limited at all. You have to find and/or build your own tools though, which may be complicated.

TS feels and sounds closed, IB open. I'd go with open anyday.

Ursa..

PS. Why would any company want to close its forum for non-customers to read. What's there to hide? Definite no-no for me.

#11     May 10, 2007
    #12     May 10, 2007
  3. TS stopped providing support for TS2000i the moment they sold it. It had nothing to do with the proliferation of copies over recent years.

#13     May 10, 2007
  4. BigBoris

BigBoris

If you are a C++ programmer at the first and a trader at the second and the computer programming is your profession and an enjoyment for you then IB. If your goal is a profitable trading and programming is a tool ONLY then TS definitely.

#14     May 10, 2007
  5. #15     May 10, 2007
  6. Yes, really building your own AT toolkit is not for all of us, but there are a number of toolkits availabe that will give you a start. If you only want to run system trading setups based on bar-indicators, then you will be ok with TS, if you can feel at home with them. But if you tend to need more on the future and not be limited by the constraints and assumptions made by the engine, a open API seems better to me.

Ursa..

#16     May 10, 2007
  7. Is there anything else? Isn't every system is based on bars/volume and indicator are made from bar values

#17     May 10, 2007
  8. No

#18     May 10, 2007
  9. again, i'm not a user... but doesnt multicharts provide many of the features
    being discussed here? allowing autotrading w/ IB...?

i have-
    ts2000i
    metaserverRT
    traderAssistant

#19     May 10, 2007
  10. SO far my little testing with Multicharts has been pretty cool...

That autotrading has proven rock solid....

I am testing with an IB simu acct right now. Just getting comfortable with the trading without confirmations and thus far every signal has been executed without flaw.

#20     Jun 6, 2007