IB vs Tradestation

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by adamchubb, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

The SEC/CFTC does not make this decision, The definition comes from the data provider. In this case, the ICE, CME or CFE. ICE gets around this by not having non-pro MD. All they have is pro market data or delayed.

#21     Jan 6, 2018
  2. KeLo

KeLo

I could not even use TradeStation this week. TS does not handle high volume well at all.

It is great for daily or weekly swing traders, etc. but not "fast traders" looking to pick up a few points at a time. The forum is loaded with useful trading codes and TS has great historical data. The charts are beautiful too.

TS has more generous futures margins than IB. IB is the Scrooge of the futures margin world.

You can use many different front-ends and data feeds with IB, which you may want since their TWS and "snapshot" data are both horrible IMHO.

It just depends on your trading style.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    #22     Feb 10, 2018
  3. "TS does not handle high volume well at all."

That kinda defeats the purpose of trading doesn't it? Time for a new broker?

#23     Feb 10, 2018
  4. KeLo

KeLo

They are not my only broker, so I did trade this crazy market last week.

TS usually works OK with the "normal" volume of the last several years.

Last week was extraordinary with something like a 13 Sigma move in the VIX.

But with the QE ending, volatility and volume seem set to return to the markets.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    #24     Feb 10, 2018
  5. KeLo

KeLo

I will be up and running this week with a new broker.

I am also dissatisfied with IB - for different reasons. But at least I could trade the VIX spike week with IB.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    #25     Feb 18, 2018
  6. You can do what TS does, and more with a lifetime Multicharts license, and have better data, and brokerage service. IQFeed>Multicharts>IB API is hard to beat for retail.

#26     Feb 18, 2018
    KeLo likes this.
  7. KeLo

KeLo

As far as a brokerage, IB is head and shoulders above TradeStation, . I love the TS platform and historical data, but the brokerage is the worst I have ever used.

#27     Aug 28, 2018
  8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Sounds like you do not like either overall.

#28     Aug 28, 2018
  9. KeLo

KeLo

Yes, I am looking at the LightSpeed web site right now Robert. Unfortunately, I had contacted LS in the past and was assigned another rep

#29     Aug 28, 2018