IB vs Tradestation

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by adamchubb, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Just wonder anyone have experience with Tradestation? I've been using IB to trade VIX futures. But IB recently force me to pay pro fees for market data. And the margin requirement has also gone up quite a bit. Have been thinking whether there is better option out there. Looks like Tradestation could be an alternative. Just want to know if anyone has experience trading with Tradestation, especially for VIX futures.

2. Wilt

Wilt

I can't speak to futures, but on stocks the only problem is that they're self-clearing. They have a lot of special margin requirement stocks that are higher than 25% intraday. Like basically all of biotech, not just $5 companies. On hot issues, you can probably bet they will have higher margin requirements. Software is solid, was happy with smart routed fills, fees are good. But for stocks, a total no go due to special margin requirement stocks.

Wilt

d08 likes this.
  3. comagnum

comagnum

4. maxinger

maxinger

ha! Just now, it took me > 1 hr to login into IB.
    luckily I have other brokerage agents.

to me
    tradestation appears to be more stable

5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I'd like to add Lightspeed Trading to the mix. We introduce to Wedbush Futures and can offer Exchange Span Margin on most symbols including VX futures. My email address is below if you want to chat this morning, BTW, we can also offer Exchange Span margin for IRAs if opened through a self-Directed IRA company like Midland IRA.

6. i can back Robert. i ran vx through IB for yrs until their margins went nutz

very very happy with Lightspeed/Wedbush..exchange margins, low fee's, imo solid strong companies.

7. Everything is in a technical and methodological study.

8. DaveV

DaveV

I am interested in why IB started charing you pro fees for market data. Did you check the professional boxes in the user profile? Or are you registered with IB as a company instead of an individual?

9. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

It can also be triggered by managing accounts for others. I was interested too.

10. Jack1960

Jack1960

Robert,
    Do you charge professional data fees if I am managing only my own money through an entity?

#10     Jan 3, 2018