IB Users: Beware of the "Restore" function -- it TRANSMITS instead (2nd attempt)

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by stock_punter, Nov 19, 2001.

1. To all IB Users:

The restore order function does not work. Instead of restoring the order to its original state, it TRANSMITS the changed order.

This is not good.

I made IB technical support aware of this issue over two weeks ago. Their suggested fix of reinstalling the Java Environment did not solve this problem.

The problem has not yet been fixed, and I have not received an update.

I sent a query to them today and will let you know if they have anything significant to say.

-- Punter

P.S. See the TWS users guide on how the restore feature work, in case you do not know what I'm talking about.

In brief, to see a right-click menu, select an order management line and then click the right mouse button. Select an item from a right-click menu using your mouse. The Right-click menu on an Order Management line contains the following menu commands:

Restore

Lets you undo changes to a working order on an order management line BEFORE YOU RE-TRANSMIT THE ORDER.

2. jmk

jmk

Hello Stock Punter,

Restore function works for me, I used it until today : futures on EUREX and MATIF ( german and french futures market).

Perhaps could you precise the circumstances this problem happened to you ?

JM

3. I used the restore function on TWS 4.0 on submitted equity orders.

IB's Ernie replied to my e-mail and confirmed they have been able to recreate the problem and that they are working on it.

-- Punter

4. 2rip

2rip

He's partially right (sort of). This only happens with stop-related orders once they're sent in. Stops and stop limits that is.

It doesn't happen to Market or Limit orders. It doesn't happen if the stop hasn't already been sent in.

My only question is this:
    WHY would anyone use stop orders for crying out loud? You can slip 10 points in a steep drop (that's obviously an exaggeration, but it can happen). A couple of guys who didn't believe me about stops lost quite a bit in September.

Oh well - guess the answer is don't modify orders you don't really want to modify OR you could modify them to where you really want them *shrug*

Have a good one folks.
    Don't Take any wooden IPOs.

-2rip

5. Restore removes the changes you have made to an
    order without submitting.

Here is where the problem lies: On Relative, Stop, or
    Stop Limit orders, when you hit restore, all fields will
    be reset with the exception of the aux. price.

Please be aware:
    THIS IS DISPLAY RELATED.
    ORDERS ARE NOT TRANSMITTED AT THIS NEW PRICE.
    (this cannot be stressed enough)

IB is working on fixing this display problem.

DustPuppy

6. I just received an e-mail from Ernie of IB that says the same thing as what DustPuppy wrote in the previous posting.