IB Usability

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by dbh21, Feb 17, 2013.

1. dbh21

dbh21

I'm an option trader and I'm used to TOS. I'm being forced to use IB to manage a different account and I'm watching the IB training video's now.

I understand that IB is generally regarded well for fills and commissions, but does anyone like their interface to TWS?

In a past life I was a usability developer and I see so many unintuitive designs. Maybe comparing them to TOS is not fair, but it seems to me that IB is trying to be everything to everyone, and TOS is much more focused.

Just in terms of option order entry, I'm amazed at how many steps there are, or that their risk-profile graph is not nearly as interactive as TOS's. Or that after a spread order is placed, it is not automatically tracked as a spread.

Its kind of neat that its uber-customizable, but I think they took it too far.

Just curious what others think about IB.

2. ktm

ktm

I've designed a number of interfaces as well in other gigs over the years. I would agree that parts may be overdone, but overall it's a good design once you get accustomed to it.

I haven't used TOS so I can't compare them.

There are always quirks in the IB interfaces...certain things that can't be done from certain screens and specific places. The overall product is intensely customizable and has incredible range and functionality. Like most traders, I probably use less than 5% of the available features.