IB Upgrade

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by newbunch, Nov 11, 2005.

1. newbunch

newbunch

I would agree about those who complain constantly. I am trying to offer constructive criticism.

I am very happy with IB. I like their commissions and API for automated trading. But in reality, I could trade anywhere since I don't NEED to be automated (but I like to be). And if this kind of stuff happens frequently, I'll look at other firms. But I'm hoping IB does a better and then everybody can be happy.

#11     Nov 11, 2005
  2. Catoosa

Catoosa

There was no advance warning about the upgrade. I opened TWS this morning to find I was not receiving data even though the pop-up message said I had until 11-14-05 to do the upgrade.??? I did the upgrade and now the "Realized Profit and Loss" no longer function in my account window.??? This is the reason I hate to do TWS upgrades until new features are added that I would like to use which is not often.

#12     Nov 11, 2005
  3. nassau

nassau

I would of preferred not to know the support on a first name bases when I call. I would of preferred never had to ever call.
    Be very interested in what you trade as
    It is "impossible" for anyone who trades on a daily bases (more than a few trades daily) to not of had amply problems..especially over a number of years.
    I todate have not had the warning that mentions the recent update..but on a daily bases loss data, executions on some of the trades are slow or freeze for several seconds, loss bid/ask on several stocks for most or part of the day and thus have arca,island up and ready, execute trades that show they have been executed and show up in the account but not on tws.etc, etc...the list goes on..daily!
    Complaining? is that what you call it when you have to call your broker for help on their software? While being exposed to the market..when you get through to only have the choice of exit as you can not place a working order! or
    "not looking for a rocket scientist but at least someone who has discernment of their software! let alone you get a different explanation/excuse from whomever answers?? and I am not alone in my summation.

All brokers have problems and often daily, its par for the course, buy let alone the mandatory? optional upgrades that end up being some sort of beta version - where the trader is exposed.
    I personally think you should have an option otherwise the broker should have a fiduciary responsibility - which we all know is not going to happen.

complaining? versus looking for an explanation or remedy so one can trade ...and make money...is what I try and do and letting others know or checking the posts of others so as to avoid a problem ..to me is just good business..

w

#13     Nov 11, 2005
  4. zdreg

zdreg

what odds are you givng.
    theodds that give would have to be ridiculous since you are obviously right.:)

#14     Nov 11, 2005
  5. I have been with IB for over a year, and very happy with the service. Never have to call. Every broker has data issue, the date has to pass from the exchange to your broker then to your ISP and finally to you.

#15     Nov 11, 2005
  6. DAV

DAV ET Sponsor

As of today versions before 851.9 are supported.
    On Monday, Nov 14, versions before 851.9 will not be supported.

#16     Nov 11, 2005
  7. I'm an active trader, every day, many times per day. I'm mostly an ES trader, but I do stocks. When I do stocks I'm more of a swing trader. Discretionary.

I don't have daily problems. In fact, the last problem I had that I called about was several months ago regarding book trader. The guy told me they were aware of it, and were correcting it. And they did.

I've had some disconnects, typically brief. I generally don't call on those. And I don't remember when the last disconnect was. Its been quite a while.

I don't get "warnings" about upgrades I guess because I always upgrade when I'm prompted. Yes, a few times this had some bugs (book trader was one of those).

There was a problem probably six months ago or so that my screen was going blank once in a while. As I recall, it would do it intermittently. They corrected that problem fairly rapidly.

But again, anytime I have called IB they have been polite and tried to handle my problem. Note, I don't whine at them (not saying you do), swear, etc.

I have always been surprised at some of the posts here about IB, because they always are different than my experience has been.

Some of the posts we get here are because the trader doesn't know how to operate TWS. Can't really blame IB for that. Some problems are technical problems on the users end I would guess, because they are not system wide.

Put it this way, IF you're having serious problems I would take a look at your set up...because I am not having serious problems. I would also guess that most of the users of IB are not having serious problems.

By the way, I didn't use the word "complaining" in any of my posts.

OldTrader

#17     Nov 11, 2005
  8. nassau

nassau

so I am clear..what you are saying is

that if I am using 851.9 I will be supported on monday and do not have to ugrade but have a choice..?
    851.9 is still be fuctional next wk

w

#18     Nov 11, 2005
  9. Catoosa

Catoosa

That was not the case for me. I had TWS 851.6 or 851.7 on two different PCs and had to upgrade TWS on both PCs in order to receive any data of any kind. I did figure out why I could no longer receive the "Realized Profit and Loss" in the account portfolio window. The upgrade cleared the "Show zero position rows" box and resized the column widths on the portfolio window. No real damage.

#19     Nov 11, 2005
  10. nassau

nassau

to OLDTRADER

I agree with you in your post.
    Most of the problems are just par for the business and I also do not complain to the broker.
    I have had both polite and very rude and as a result ask for certain persons which are more accomodating than others.
    I will state that IB's support personell have been very helpful of late and at least acknowledge the problem/issues.
    I am more frustrated as are my associates with all the upgrades, personally I like tws..from an execution point of view, very user friendly.
    It was my perception as with 77 that you implied complaining and if I offended you, I apoligize, it was not my intention..
    I just find posts that state "I never" no saying you said that,
    "No Issues ever", "the best" for years etc. .
    so misleading as we all know..all software has problems as do the brokers and we all need to acknowledge same..and I believe that posts that state the above are persons employeed by the broker(s) or persons who really don't trade...

hope your trades have been good to you,

w

#20     Nov 11, 2005