IB Update speed on futures bid ask size insane today?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by stock777, Sep 20, 2007.

1. minmike, you're not the only nut that watches every tick.

And I can tell the difference in tick speed as well as anyone.

I did start the thread.

I am saying that 1000 times a second is also faster , but I doubt if it would make any diff in performance to a manual trader.

Conceivably, a high (1/10) tick rate might reveal a bit more about the action than 1/5 or less, but I doubt the unaided 'eye' would benefit.

#21     Sep 23, 2007
  2. minmike

minmike

From the begining of my contribution to this thread, I have been talking about professional's usage. I really don't know how it would affect a novice. When I was a novice, I started with the high quality feed. I'm pretty sure that my firm throttles there quotes in the thousanths of a second range, not the hundreths of a second range. I wouldn't trade any other way.

#22     Sep 24, 2007
  3. That cool. Problem is all the black boxes get 1/10,000 sec quotes so all you have left are crumbs.

A novice can barely read the quotes at all even at 1 per second.

#23     Sep 24, 2007
  4. You are implying about 125 trades (sides) per day on average ?
    Really ?
    What's your average net profit per contract ...1 tick, 2 ticks, ??

#24     Sep 24, 2007
  5. joesan

joesan

Is it possible to add options for cutting the refresh rate back to as slow as before ?

The current rate is too fast for my eyes to handle.

#25     Sep 25, 2007
  6. Then according to some you are a novice. I assume novice is a nice way of saying noob if not dweeb.

I'm not saying that mind you

#26     Sep 25, 2007
  7. sprstpd

sprstpd

I suggest shutting and opening your eyes once every second so you don't see the refresh.

#27     Sep 25, 2007
  8. joesan

joesan

Well, I have to admit I am not good at staring at screen all day long.:)

My trading style is automatic system trading, so usually I do not open booktrader and most of the time during the session, I do not even stay beside the computer. But during volatile days I do open booktrader and see if I can make some discretionary trades, and I find the previous 3-4 times refresh rate can well serve my need at that time. You see ,if the ask/bid jumps too fast like yesterday, it do less help than harm to me bcz human being can hardly benefit from this increase in refresh rate without adding much more stress, especially if you trade manually all day long.

Some other traders may very well be accustomed to a faster rate, but personally I think 3-4 times refresh/seconds is good enough for me , and I am asking IB to see if they can give clients an option to choose the refresh rate in TWS configuartion.

#28     Sep 25, 2007
  9. If you use Sierra Chart for your charting then you can set the chart refresh rate to suit yourself.

Then you can leave the dom bouncing at full speed for those times you need it.

#29     Sep 25, 2007
  10. joesan

joesan

kiwi thanks for your remind , but currently I am still not using sierrachart cuz IB TWS chart is good enough for my discretionary setup. I just hope there is an option for TWS refresh rate...

#30     Sep 26, 2007