IB Unstable Again

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by laocoon, Nov 9, 2007.

1. gangof4

gangof4

that is a new one. congrats ib- a new fuck up in tws. i'll look forward to seeing it when i've got 4 open contracts in the HSI and it's moving 100 points/minute...

#41     Dec 14, 2007
  2. Hmmm. IB fixed the problem I mentioned in another thread last week so I had yet another perfect day with TWS yesterday.

Bob,

What version of TWS, Java and OS are you using?

#42     Dec 14, 2007
  3. Bob111

Bob111

xp pro sp 2,java 1.5.13, TWS 878. build 6. nothing really special…
    i'm sick and tired to see all those glitches almost every day no matter what version I pick. There is something new all the time, even if you don't touch TWS updates...do they have QA at all?
    Can they just release one stable version and we all can stick with it, if you don't want new bells and whistles during the year?
    at least until our favored forced yearly update? wtf is wrong with those IT people in IB?

#43     Dec 14, 2007
  4. See prior posts...it's most likely NOT TWS, the workstation, but it's the backend data and order servers.
    When they're hosed, all TWS clients connected will have problems.
    I've been thru this before with QCharts a while ago. The solution was to provide a mechanism for users to switch back-end server farms.....and it worked fine.
    Somehow, IB needs to take this idea under consideration....and implement their own version of a solution.

#44     Dec 15, 2007
  5. rwk

rwk

That's probably the problem in my case. I am running two copies of the TWS on the same computer to manage two accounts. My disconnects are always on the same account, never the other. It looks like the problem is probably the gateway. I requested that my problem account be moved, but customer service took no action. IB/TAC is supposed to be looking into this, but I haven't heard anything for a long time. I am still getting the disconnects.

#45     Dec 15, 2007
  6. fyi, I have been running two Ib accounts on the same computer for a long time and have no disconnect problems...

#46     Dec 15, 2007
  7. rwk

rwk

I did too until recently. I don't believe that the problem has anything to do with two copies of the TWS on the same computer. But two copies pretty well rules out problem with the Internet connection, the operating system, or the computer hardware. The only difference between the two accounts is the gateway they connect through.

#47     Dec 15, 2007
  8. HF Dave

HF Dave

I am experiencing the same problem and all the communication with the IB's support was more frustrating than helpful. The only result was that I had spent several days doing a trained monkey before I finally gave up on solving the problem with tech. support.

My TWS hangs up often when I am operating with orders in the Chart Trader. The most dangerous thing is to move placed order lines, submit them or let them to execute.

Btw, it is VERY dangerous behavior, when your trading platform is crashing just after opening a position! It is the time where you have to manage and watch your just opened trade closely.

As well as someone else in this thread mentioned, I use the Unix version so the problem might be related only to this platform.

I have always had a rock solid TWS. Then, IB developers have started adding many bells and whistles into the TWS ca. year ago and things are getting worse from that time. The crashing TWS is the last step which brings us beneath its usability. Even the mentioned 879 version did not solve this problem. I think they should focus back on improving stability and usability.

Btw, I see this as the second most significant and money taking problem:

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-auth.pl?lm=1197806712&file=/3/42450.html

#48     Dec 16, 2007
  9. dst

dst Interactive Brokers

FYI 879 was promoted to a standalone build - it has a fix for API issue reported few posts ago.

We are looking at the issue with white areas on the screen, it is very had to reproduce, but think we resolved it, I would like to take extra time to verify it. Anyone who experiencing this please PM me.

Dave, please PM me details of your problem, thanks.

#49     Dec 17, 2007
  10. HF Dave

HF Dave

I did, thank you dst.

#50     Dec 18, 2007