IB Universal Question

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Trader5287, Oct 1, 2002.

1. hacacare

hacacare

ok

thanks

#11     Oct 3, 2002
  2. I haven't been getting any data from ARCA on the TWS lately.
    Anyone else having this same problem?

#12     Oct 3, 2002
  3. does anyone know if the quote speed is the same

when using a Univeral acct to display both futures and equities

as opposed to the other way ... for quotes

futures acct up and running
    equity acct up and running

I hope this is an easy to answer ...

#13     Oct 3, 2002
  4. Leviathan

Leviathan

Help:

I've been using IB for 2 years and really don't want to change but today I was informed that unless I become a RIA, I can't trade the accounts of a select few "clients" that I've worked with for years.

The SEC does not require that I become a RIA since I am only interested in trading for a handfull of people as well as for my own account but IB does.

Does anybody know of a broker who would have the type of account similar to IB that does not require RIA status?

Thanks.

#14     Oct 3, 2002
  5. Leviathan

Leviathan

Help:

I've been using IB for 2 years and really don't want to change but today I was informed that unless I become a RIA, I can't trade the accounts of a select few "clients" that I've worked with for years.

The SEC does not require that I become a RIA since I am only interested in trading for a handfull of people as well as for my own account but IB does.

Does anybody know of a broker who would have the type of account similar to IB that does not require RIA status?

Thanks.

#15     Oct 3, 2002
  6. alanm

alanm

Lev: Can you elaborate on why the SEC allows you to not be registered? I was under the impression (as, apparently, is IB) that if you trade for people that are "clients", you had to be registered.

#16     Oct 4, 2002
  7. hacacare

hacacare

Hi,

there are some sentences what I didn't get.
    Please help me to understand.

"All stocks bought or sold on margin require a minimum of $2,000 in equity.
    Stock bought with cash does not have a minimum equity requirement."

Aren't this two sentences in opposite?:confused:

what does it mean "marginable stock value" and "non-marginable stock value"?:confused:

thanks for your help

#17     Oct 4, 2002
  8. Leviathan

Leviathan

Alan:

According to Paul Schwartz, Licensing chief in PA, under the 1972 act, section 102 (J) there are certain exclusions to RIA.

What was relayed to me is that I may not advertise, hold letterhead, define myself as an advisor...etc. And I may trade for less than 5 "clients."

Now, IB does not care about this exclusion, and I suppose I can' t blame them, but it does exist. IB currently requires anybody trading for another persons' account to be a RIA.

I gave up my licenses in 1997 to trade for my personal account and have no intention of getting involved with the RIA requirements. I simply have a few old clients that want my help and I'd be happy to do the work.

I have a few ideas and as soon as I get a legal beagle to check them out, I'll post the findings here if thee is still an interest.

#18     Oct 4, 2002
  9. alanm

alanm

Levi: Thanks. Good info.

#19     Oct 4, 2002
  10. Def -

I just signed up and got approval for a Universal account. I answreed all the online forms and subscribed to the proper market data. However the TWS still shows as a stock margin acct.

Am I correct in assuming this conversion will take place over the weekend?

#20     Oct 10, 2002