IB unbundled NYSE fees are wrong starting 10/1/07

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by fbell50, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Thanks for your post Fbell, its hard to believe a company can takes weeks to respond to current customers. I will be spending some serious amount of time looking to get another provider. Maybe its time to go Prop.

#21     Nov 21, 2007
  2. Nice, at least we know when it will be fixed.

It also sounds like overchanged customers will get a refund.

#22     Nov 21, 2007
  3. fbell50

fbell50

I've tried Ameritrade, Etrade, Brown, Fidelity and a host of other brokers and for my needs IB is far and away the best. None of the others offers IB's range of order types, solid but quirky API, and a great cost structure. I have found them very responsive to change requests. They have made at least 3 changes I have requested in the past year. I doubt Ameritrade ever made an enhancement I requested in the 7 years they were my primary broker. But, as I said earlier, in terms of addressing actual problems as opposed to requests for enhancement, Ameritrade responded quickly and effectively.

The biggest downside is IB's slow response to non time-critical issues and their failure to provide adequate feedback on an ongoing problem. Another downside is more stuff breaks with IB. I believe this is due to implementing and supporting the widest range of features among the major brokers with a staffing that is minimal to what they are trying to achieve.

You always have to be on the lookout for stuff that has stopped working. For example, about 2-3 months ago MOC and LOC orders on Island would not be accepted. This cost me when I had to execute the next morning at a worse price. They fixed the problem in 2-4 days. I write this stuff off as a cost of doing business with IB.

I’m glad IB Salvatore gave us an update, but I’m waiting in suspense to see if all the pricing issues I raised will be handled as I think they should be.

#23     Nov 21, 2007
  4. fbell50

fbell50

On 11/23 it looks like IB charged my account properly for adding liquidity but still charged .0008/share (not 0/share) for orders executing on the open.

On 11/26 IB is charging my account correctly for orders executing on the open, but has now got adding liquidity wrong. But at least now they are undercharging. All my add liquidity orders were zero, even the sales. Maybe this just means that they didn't calculate the commission and the nightly statement will show a value. If zero commission persists for a few weeks I might get back to even.

#24     Nov 26, 2007
  5. Here is my days blotter. not that I mind if the numbers for commissions are correct but I doubt they are.

You can see that i was not charged any commission for the NED trades today.

In an effort to lower my commissions i did not route to SMART but rather to ARCA and all the ARCA trades I added liquidity. I guess IF the numbers are right it worked.....LOL (I do not believe they are)

#25     Nov 26, 2007
  6. upon looking at my trade execution report I do see that commissions where charged but they did not show up in the TWS 'trades' as I uploaded in my last post. You may want to look at the report and see if in fact you were charged.

#26     Nov 26, 2007
  7. fbell50

fbell50

Yes, I was charged the commission, but at least the charge (0/share) was correct for add & on the open orders.

BTW, the charges were only wrong for orders that executed on the NYSE. The last time I looked, Arca orders that add liquidity for NYSE stocks get a credit of .0025/share. That's a lot better than 0/share for NYSE executions.

If there was some way to set the default resting spot under SMART I'd experiment with ARCA. I submitted a new feature request to allow this some months ago, but it's a difficult feature to implement so I do not expect it any time soon.

#27     Nov 27, 2007
  8. fbell50

fbell50

My account was credited for an amount that is in the right ballpark to make up for the NYSE overcharges. I checked add liquidity, on the open, and on the close executions for 11/28. They were correct.

Everything appears to be working correctly. It's time to put this to bed.

#28     Nov 29, 2007
  9. We did a thorough analysis of MOO and MOC orders submitted during the period we applied an out dated NYSE fee schedule. All customers that elected the unbundled fee structure and submitted these order types received corrective credit adjustments. I apologize for the delay. The issue was poorly escalated, however, once the appropriate people were informed, we moved quickly to credit customers affected by this error.

If there are any remaining discrepancies, please pm me.

#29     Nov 30, 2007
  10. tman

tman

IB corrected my commissions via a credit this week. Now if they would only move on my pm approval that has been pending for 2 weeks, I'd be thrilled.

#30     Nov 30, 2007