IB TWS's forced upgrade (deadline 20061222)

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by isaac000, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Atlantic

Atlantic

those forced upgrades are a pain in the a$$ - pure and simple - absolutely inacceptable.

it's great that they add new features but if i'm once happy with a version i want to keep it - as long as possbile. one upgrade every two years or so would be enough.

#11     Dec 15, 2006
  2. Agree wholeheartedly.

#12     Dec 15, 2006
  3. Bob111

Bob111

make sure you backup(or just simply make copy) of whole entire folder(C:\Jts) by default, before upgrade, to save your current settings.
    have no issues so far between settings on 858 and 864.

#13     Dec 15, 2006
  4. newbunch

newbunch

Every time IB forces these upgrades, I look for alternatives. But I never find an acceptable replacement. I still wish IB would stop doing this...

#14     Dec 15, 2006
  5. Yes, the many TWS upgrades and the eventual forced ones are my only gripe against IB.

Traders are, as a whole, a very suspicious and practical lot IMHO. If something works and they are used to it and comfortable with it, why change? Certainly when it has to do with money and our livelihood, anyway.

Especially if they have absolutely no need for the new features, and would even rather see MANY LESS features. Keep it very simple and reliable? Yes!

Not that we wouldn't upgrade...eventually. But we want it to be on our own time!

Good trading to all. :cool:

#15     Dec 15, 2006
  6. Xenia

Xenia

Means: TWS LOGIN REJECTED.

#16     Dec 15, 2006
  7. I'm sure it's a real balancing act for IB. On the one hand, traders are asking for TWS enhancements as soon as possible, so they need to frequently issue new releases. On the other hand, someone reports a problem from 10 releases ago. Maybe the problem doesn't exist on a later version. Or even if it does, fixing the problem without an upgrade requires software changes to all 10 releases.

Realistically, no software provider can manage this so you have to encourage/force upgrades from time to time.

#17     Dec 15, 2006
  8. Bob111

Bob111

i think kiwi was right about meaning of desupport. but wondering, why IB did not explain, what exactly they mean? not here, not on their website.
    put the answer right on front page, after New Excel API Beginners Guide Now Available announcement. is it so hard?

#18     Dec 15, 2006
  9. i am going to run version 860.9 until problems arise.....this build has been trouble free so far

#19     Dec 15, 2006
  10. Tums

Tums

it means if your order goes haywire, you are on your own.

#20     Dec 15, 2006