Ib Tws

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by u130747, Feb 24, 2003.

1. BIG SHOW

BIG SHOW

reinstall the sob:confused:

#11     Feb 24, 2003
  2. I never upgrade because it just causes trouble. I have said several times: too many upgrades.They don't care and keep coming with new versions all the time. I guess I have to thank their developers for not being able to logon at work at the local library or cybercafe. What's the browser version for if you can't use it anywhere because JRE 1.4 is not installed on most systems?

#12     Feb 24, 2003
  3. cas

cas

As much as I agree about the potential problems created by continual upgrades, I have to say that IB has made alot of improvements over the years....because of those upgrades. They listen to suggestions of traders using the system and then work to incorporate them....are they perfect??....no...but atleast they make the effort..most brokers could careless.

cas

#13     Feb 24, 2003
  4. corvus

corvus

True nitro, but a point of note. There are system memory leaks in Java linked to bugs in the VM. If you hit one of those in your code without realizing it, you can cause good old fashion C++ style mem leaks...they were more common in earlier versions of Java but still exist now in small numbers. See http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4724129.html for a hysterical and current one.

Also, the VM maintains a pool of memory for the app to use. As the app needs more, the VM increases the size of the pool...but the VM never releases memory from the pool in case the app needs it again, even if the garbage collector "frees" it. That's why when you look at javaw.exe under the task manager in windows it's got a huge RAM footprint...most of that is probably empty, reserved space from a previous memory high. If the VM can't acquire more memory for it's pool from the OS, and the garbage collector either can't keep up or can't free anythign else, you can get OutOfMemory errors. So, interestingly, if you have a multithreaded app that allocates alot of memory with each iteration, and that consistently pre-empts the garbage collector, the VM might have to keep grabbing memory from the OS before it can free it...the heap (pool) is expanding. And then with some systems, like Win98 with its poor virtual memory setup, the OS might run out of memory to grab (because your C drive, where Win98 keeps its virtual memory, is full or something and your system doesn't have enough physical memory). And then blam, java crashes along with probably everything else on your system.

Got to watch out for those threads...

So, you can pretty easily create memory errors in Java, just that they are tend to be different types of memory errors than you'd see in a C++ app.

Java rules and garbage collection leads to better code but having such a huge memory footprint when an app has been running for awhile is a pretty significant drawback. The newer Hotspot VMs and the like are sooooo much better, but as a java developer, you have to be aware that you are not absolved from all memory considerations. :)

#14     Feb 24, 2003
  5. David I

David I

A trading buddy and I noticed slowness as well a release or two ago. He figured out (I don't know how!) a quick work around which you can try right away to see if it helps you. I then found in the IB discussion boards that others have found a better answer which I use with great success.

The quick and fast work around for him was to open TWS and then move it from one monitor to another and then back. That was it. Just moving it like that really did something underneath in the code that caused a great improvement in response time. If this worked for you then try the solution below since this is a pain to do each time you start TWS.

The answers I found on the IB discussion board which I now use and it works great for me can be found at the links below. Please don't ask me for details on how or what. I just got the info from there and have used it myself with success.

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/discus/messages/3/7258.html

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/discus/messages/3/6426.html

Good luck!

- David

#15     Feb 24, 2003
  6. corvus

corvus

Also consider upgrading your java to 1.4.1 from 1.4.0, there have been many improvements.

#16     Feb 24, 2003
  7. David I,
    Thanks for the suggestions and the links. Moving TWS window from screens to screens sounds and looks a bit like ....voodoos, no? :D maybe I could put a chicken feet on one monitor, and a crocodile tonsil on the other monitor, and chanting some incantations while doing it. :p :D
    I'll see how it goes tomorrow with the market openned. Now if only I know where to get the croc's tonsils....

Cheers !! :)

#17     Feb 24, 2003
  8. Magna

Magna Administrator

#18     Feb 24, 2003
  9. corvus

corvus

10. dojibear, David 1 is right. I had same prob. Called IB support (which btw I never wait more than 1 or 2 minutes and always get a straight answer) and they told me to drag tws to the primary monitor, stop, and drag back. I have to do it once in a while, but it solves the problem. All computers are voodoo and if I need to do a rain dance once in a while it's fine with me.

#20     Feb 24, 2003