IB - TWS with latest Java

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by moarla, Sep 17, 2008.

1. vita

vita

RC, I am not sure about all the various flags in kiwi_trader's command but I was able to launch TWS using it. However, I've to wait until Monday to see its proper working and performance. This is what I did to make is work.

Assuming your TWS directory is C:\jts:
    1) make sure java JDK is installed on your PC. To see that, ckeck "C:\Program Files\Java" and see if there is a jdk directory (this is different from jre directory). The jdk version may be different. Mine is jdk1.6.0_07. If jdk not installed go to http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/ , download and install the latest version of JDK (currently JDK 6 Update 7)

2) open a DOS cmd prompt and run:
    > cd C:\jts
    > "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\bin\javaw.exe" -cp jts.jar;pluginsupport.jar;jcommon-1.0.0.jar;jfreechart-1.0.0.jar;jhall.jar;other.jar;riskfeed.jar;rss.jar -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false -server -Xss128k -Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:+ForceTimeHighResolution -XX:CompileThreshold=50 -XX:ThreadStackSize=192 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+RelaxAccessControlCheck -XX:MaxInlineSize=8192 -XX:-DontCompileHugeMethods -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -Xnoclassgc jclient/LoginFrame C:\JTS

***Make sure you use the exact *.jar file name as it apears in your C:\jts specially for jcommon-1.0.0.jar and jfreechart-1.0.0.jar. You may have a different versions of these files. Correct the above command with the exact names as appears in your C:\jts.

This should launch TWS login prompt for you. If things worked you can create a empty "twslaunch.bat" file and put the above two command lines in it to launch the TWS.

I hope this helps.

P.S., Kiwi_trader, please correct me if I did something wrong here!

#21     Sep 20, 2008
  2. moarla

moarla

latest Java Version = 1.6.0_10-rc2

#22     Sep 20, 2008
  3. rc5781

rc5781

ok based on your post i figured out how kiwi set it up

1. My tws folder is C:\ibjts

2. Install jdk-6u7-windows-i586-p

3. go to program files/java/jdk1.6.0_07/jre/bin/server

Copy this folder "server" into: program files/java/jre6/jre/bin

(jre6 folder is the folder jre-6u10-rc2-windows-i586-p-iftw installs into)

4. open a DOS cmd prompt and run:
    > cd C:\ibjts
    > "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -cp jts.jar;pluginsupport.jar;jcommon-1.0.12.jar;jfreechart-1.0.9.jar;jhall.jar;other.jar;riskfeed.jar;rss.jar -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false -server -Xss128k -Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:+ForceTimeHighResolution -XX:CompileThreshold=50 -XX:ThreadStackSize=192 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+RelaxAccessControlCheck -XX:MaxInlineSize=8192 -XX:-DontCompileHugeMethods -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -Xnoclassgc jclient/LoginFrame C:\ibjts

The way you did it vita, I don't think you're running Java Version = 1.6.0_10-rc2, but not sure....

Anyway this worked and it DOES seem faster, the real test will be when trade begins.

ES charts were lagging 3-5 seconds from the tws quote. This is with the latest jre NOT in server mode. So if the lag on the charts is less than this in server mode, I'll be happy...

#23     Sep 21, 2008
  4. abxs

abxs

Despite all the good news about Java 1.6 and the latest TWS... ever since I upgraded to the last TWS version, IB charts suddenly stop updating, the lock up, (quotes keep moving) but the bars or candlesticks fail to refresh.

Very annoying...

#24     Sep 22, 2008
  5. dont

dont

I have had a similar problem after much asking IB support told me to back track Java to an older version.

Solved all the problems

#25     Sep 22, 2008
  6. abxs

abxs

dont, thanks for the input

could you tell me which version you are using? since I tried 1.5.0_14 but that didn't make any difference...

#26     Sep 22, 2008
  7. That looks right rc.

I actually install the jdk and the jre. Then I get the Server Folder from the jre part of the jdk directory structure. I copy it to the jre and then I uninstall the jdk ... it seems I download the jdk just for a couple of files.

#27     Sep 22, 2008
  8. abxs. its always a good idea to make sure you have the latest drivers for your videocards if you have a graphics/charting issue ... it may not make a difference but its worth checking.

#28     Sep 22, 2008
  9. dont

dont

1.5.0_15 but uninstall the old version and then install This one. Also switch off automatic update of Java.

Basically the Volume histogram on some charts would not display. IB help said to switch back to this version of Java.

I am running the latest version of the TWS, no problems.

#29     Sep 22, 2008
  10. abxs

abxs

Thanks for the suggestion kiwi, but my graphics card is fine... It all started since I upgraded to this TWS version at the beginning of september.

I'll try that Java...thx for the suggestion.

Would be helpful to know how many others are experiencing this issue!

#30     Sep 22, 2008