IB - TWS with latest Java

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by moarla, Sep 17, 2008.

1. moarla

moarla

Installed just latest TWS release 887.2
    and the Java Version 1.6.0_10-rc2

Fastest TWS ever seen.

no problems with this combination

2. I've been running it for a week now. Very nice (I use it in Server VM mode with draw turned on).

Code:
    Run ( 'C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe -cp jts.jar;pluginsupport.jar;jcommon-1.0.12.jar;jfreechart-1.0.9.jar;jhall.jar;other.jar;riskfeed.jar;rss.jar -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false -server -Xss128k -Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:+ForceTimeHighResolution -XX:CompileThreshold=50 -XX:ThreadStackSize=192 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -XX:+RelaxAccessControlCheck -XX:MaxInlineSize=8192 -XX:-DontCompileHugeMethods -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -Xnoclassgc jclient/LoginFrame R:\JTS', 'R:\JTS' )

3. moarla

moarla

Hi Kiwi Trader! Reading your postings about IB, liking your coments on "speed of execution... etc. and appreciate your knowledge about IB....
    wondering if you know the real difference between execution on IB (only futures) and ZEN or TT, thinking that there should be no real difference.. :)

I am from Italy and logged on Swiss gateway. Is it correct, that the eurex feed comes from ch-gw, the CME feed from us-gw? And is it correct, that logged in to ch-gw, my orders go to ch-servers and from them to the exchange?

Could you explain me how to do this: "Server VM mode with draw turned on" ?

Saluti to New Zealand

4. moarla

moarla

Server mode .. >>> i found out, what you mean....will test it

5. just21

just21

What does server mode mean? What are the advantages?

6. moarla

moarla

Thats what i found about server:

"The Server VM is much faster than the Client VM, but it has the downside of taking around 10% longer to start up, and it uses more memory."

KiwiTrader will tell us, if thats correct.

7. Different garbage collection algorithm(s). The JIT compiler is tuned differently - I think it is biased to compile rather than interpret code after fewer iterations. Probably others.

The server VM is not necessarily faster - it will depend on the application you are running. After all, Sun wouldn't be bothered with server and workstation variants if server was always faster.

8. Basically the client vm loads faster. The server vm runs faster. So unless you plan to load and unload TWS repeatedly during the day ....

But you have to download the jdk to get the server dll. Then copy it and its folder into the jre bin folder (at same level as the client folder).

9. Did you have problems with previous builds and 1.6?

If so, are you saying its the new tws version that makes the difference now?

personally 1.6 has slowed tws down for me in the past so I have stuck with 1.5.

Would be nice to get to 1.6 without problems.

10. 1.6.0_10 is a major revision. Performance and reliability focus.

#10     Sep 17, 2008