IB TWS v847 beta

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by just21, May 26, 2005.

1. The_End

The_End

From a new and extremely pleased IB customer:

Can someone point me to where it explains, or explain to me how the Automatic Rollover feature works (in more detail then http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/software/releaseNotes/TWS_Notes_847.php) on Futures with IB?

Eight days prior to expiration, I understand I will be prompted with that option but after that I am unsure what happens -- especially regarding the transaction cost(s); if there's one contract being rolled forward - are there two normal commission charges, or is there a different schedule for that?

TIA

#11     Jul 3, 2005
  2. IBsoft

IBsoft Interactive Brokers

The feature does not roll the future for you. It only ads the symbol of the next future month to your trading screen.

#12     Jul 3, 2005
  3. The_End

The_End

Thanks, IBsoft. One last question - is there an option available to rollover a position other than liquidating one position and repositioning it forward, requiring two transactions (such as a calendar spread)? If so, where may I read about it?

TIA

#13     Jul 4, 2005
  4. IBsoft

There is no such feature. The only thing you can do is set up the spread and trade it.

#14     Jul 4, 2005
  5. alanm

alanm

Glad to see this feature - this has always been a pain.

IBsoft: Can you comment on how you determine what day and which month to use for contracts that are not as well defined in their rollover dates/months as the index and currency futures? In particular, the ag, oil, and metals seem to roll a variable number of days before first notice, and sometimes skip a month (as far as which month gets the volume/liquidity of the "front month").

#15     Jul 5, 2005
  6. IBsoft

The rule we use is simplistic: we prompt the user to roll 8 days before the maturity date. This may not be appropriate for the materials futures.

#16     Jul 5, 2005