IB TWS using 300% CPU on macbook suddenly?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by AL4727, Apr 8, 2018.

1. AL4727

AL4727

Hello, I literally just created an account on here because im having the following issue:

I have TWS latest installed on my macbook which updates automatically. Ever since the latest update on March 28 (version 970.1b) my cpu is in the high 200-300% for tws in my activity monitor. When i minimize it, the cpu drops back down to 5-10%

I only use tws to execute orders and for the last 2 years it hasnt given me any problems

Its not my macbook either because it only happens with TWS- no other trading platform or application.

Ive already tried un installing and installing stable and beta and offine versions of tws but the same thing keeps happening.

If anyone had or has a similar issue and can help id greatly appreciate it! I havent been able to log in for a week because im afraid of frying my macbook :(

Also i live chatted with Interactive brokers and they told me they couldnt do anything about it other than suggesting i install the stable version which i did and the problem hasnt resolved :/

2. It sounds like one of the display windows has a bug.

Try closing each window, one by one, until the CPU drops to identify the culprit.

comagnum likes this.
  3. rusob

rusob

Same issue here with fastest MacBook Pro. CPU and fan do not stop all day while TWS is open. I am using latest version.
    Did not happen before, I would say in last weeks. I thought I had too many live scanners or charts but after closing most it is still killing my laptop.

AL4727 likes this.
  4. AL4727

AL4727

I did that until all of them were closed and it still didnt work *sighs* thanks for the suggestion though!

5. AL4727

AL4727

I thought it was my mac at first. I factory reset it and did everything i possibly could but its still only happening with tws!

I would suggest you talk to interactive brokers as well. i feel like if this were a windows issue it would have been resolved by now since its been over a week now.

If its not a problem with IBs TWS for mac it might be our operating systems? Which one are you running currently? Im on OS high sierra v. 10.13.4

6. goslow

goslow

Your TWS settings are saved on the IB server; possibly there is an incompatibility between the settings, saved by your earlier TWS, and the latest TWS. (Someone on EliteTrader who has saved TWS settings files and switched between them should speak up.)

I'd also want to find out whether the problem is related to multiple installed Java versions or Java/TWS incompatibility. TWS currently installs its own Java, and does not appear to use the Java you may have installed manually for an earlier TWS.

7. sprstpd

sprstpd

Not to be a jerk, but how does an application use more than 100% of your CPU?

8. AL4727

AL4727

I dont know if its the same for windows but on a mac there are multiple "cores" and your cpu can go to 100% x however many cores you have. So if i have what im assuming is a quad core my cpu can be maxed to 400%.

If you want the exact tech behind it, it can all be found on google :)

9. AL4727

AL4727

When i uninstalled it i removed my saved settings and started from scratch (the tws layout you get when you log in for the first time ever) and it still happened.

I dont have any java programs on my mac other than the jar files which are in the same folder as tws because they were downloaded with tws.

It could be an error in the jar files or tws update caused something to get messed up. Ive tried everything cpu still sky high no matter what :(

10. Lee-

Lee-

I had this problem with TWS on windows. I increased the memory allocation:

Edit -> Global Configuration -> Configuration -> General -> Memory Allocation (in MB).

What's yours currently set to? Mine is currently at 6144. That seemed to be enough. My assumption is that when this limit is too low, Java's memory management is swapping or doing garbage collection or other tricks to free up memory more frequently, effectively trading CPU for memory. In any case, I was having this problem for a while and increasing the memory solved it completely for me.

While I don't run tws on my mac, it's likely to behave the same if you are also memory constrained. Bear in mind, your machine needs to have enough memory as well. TWS being a Java application will not consume more memory than the JVM is allotted, so even if your machine has 16GB, TWS may only be using ~1.5GB or whatever is allotted.

#10     Apr 9, 2018