IB TWS too complex

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by usman88, Feb 3, 2009.

1. cvds16

cvds16

you must be one of those people that find 'combing their hair' a task ...

#41     Feb 5, 2009
  2. TWS is not too complex but it is cumbersome and somewhat clunky for what it COULD do. They really need to purchase a better system or integrate buttontrader into it. I thought IB purchased a company awhile back that had some software they were going to integrate. It has been awhile and maybe it was for their hedge fund side.

I don't know, but it seems to me that if an individual can write a better front-end on their own for IB, that most everyone agrees is hands down better, then IB can probably do better than they have. TWS has not really evolved all that much in the last 7-8 years.

#42     Feb 5, 2009
  3. As I mentioned before, I use the expanded view. In that view all 40 rows show. If I use the regular view, only about 25 rows show, with the rest taken up by things like tool bar, quote panel, etc.

I currently trade with 4 monitors. BookTrader takes up roughly half of one monitor. That monitor has a display area that is about 11 inches high. BookTrader is stretched to use that entire height.

I'm going to try to attach a screenshot of that monitor. Hopefully it will work.

OldTrader

#43     Feb 6, 2009
  4. >OldTrader

Thank you very much for your reply and for going to the trouble
    of sending the attachment.

With that large display I now see why you are not experiencing the problem caused by the change that was made to the Re-center function in 891.

I use 4 or 5 monitors too, but all screens are fully filled. So I must make BookTrader as small as possible. Attached is an example of the size I'm using with version 888. All 10 levels are always visible, never running above or below the borders. This is the same design I tried with 891.5, but, as mentioned previously, the Bids and Asks kept running off the ladder. Hope IB decides to revert to the previous system.

Thank you again,
    learner

PS If you don't mind my asking, how old is the 'Old'Trader. I'm 63 and have been trading for about 35 years. Reading the posts on ET gives me the feeling that I might be the oldest of all(not that that makes me feel good or anything!)

#44     Feb 6, 2009
  5. I don't think I'd want your setup, because if the future was volatile enough, and the ladder functioning correctly, then it would be jumping back and forth constantly. That would disturb me I think. Either way, BookTrader still seems to center itself properly, although not as often as what you're talking about. Maybe having fewer rows creates too much of a demand on BookTrader. Just guessing of course.

I'm 63 as well. 64 in late June. I started trading when I was 20, with a fake ID. LOL.

OldTrader

#45     Feb 6, 2009
  6. Clearly, you're not daytrading

#46     Feb 6, 2009

7. If you can afford using so much space for BookTrader, your way is just fine. But if you should ever be cramped for space you might want to give my setup a try. I've used both, and can't imagine ever changing back. But you should wait to test it out until IB changes back to the pre-891 system or creates an option to do so.

>64 in late June.
    You win by 6 weeks. I'll have to live with being number 2.
    I'll keep your secret about the fake ID. But I'm sure the statue of limitations has run out by now!

All the best,
    learner

#47     Feb 7, 2009
  8. zdreg

zdreg

02-06-09 09:06 PM

Quote from stevegee58:

I use the naked TWS for stocks and options and it's just fine though you have to get used to it.

I just put the stock I like on a line. When I want to buy, I click the ask value and when I want to short I click the bid value. Once the order is created under the quote line, I adjust the size and attach my auto-stop. Then I click "T"

Clearly, you're not daytrading - trader nik

#48     Feb 7, 2009
  9. cstfx

cstfx

What he said.

You can use NinjaTrader with your broker AND TWS. (only a couple more dollars a month for multiple broker access) It is perfect for futures and fx trading and it is far superior a tool to use with TWS than anything else, and since you are familiar with it, learning curve is minimal.

You know the phrase: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#49     Feb 7, 2009
  10. You are saying that Interactive Brokers allows you to use another companies trading software and that trades get cleared through IB? If this is true How do I connect ninja trader to interactive brokers? And is the feed coming from IB or thrugh zenfire? Kind of new to all this HYBRID software configuration?

#50     Feb 7, 2009