IB TWS too complex

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by usman88, Feb 3, 2009.

1. um, if you're already using NT with Zen, why bother learning anything new and just use NT with IB as the backup?

#31     Feb 4, 2009
  2. For BookTrader I use "center around last price", and "display 40 rows". I primarily trade futures, if that makes a difference. You can change your settings by selecting "configure" from BookTrader, then select "settings".

On the title bar there's a icon that you can use to change the booktrader display to the bigger display. It's immediately left of the minimize button on Booktrader. If you click on that display icon it will show an expanded display...that's where the 40 rows are displayed. I think you'll find that the re-center function works better on that display form.

OldTrader

#32     Feb 4, 2009
  3. >OldTrader

Thank you for your advice.

Are you using version 891? I did adjust all the settings and tried up to 20 or so rows but that did not help. I also trade futures which provide Best Bid/Ask 1 to 5. So with version 888 I set the number of rows at 12 and have never had to click the re-center button even once. I don't know if it would make any difference to use 40 rows as you suggested over the 20+ I tried. And as I was forced to reinstall 888 on all 3 computers I can't test it right now.
    But if you are using 891 and 5 levels are constantly visible, then I will do as you suggest and try 891 again with 40 rows.

Thank you again.

#33     Feb 4, 2009
  4. I'm using 891.5. FWIW, I am also using XP Pro, and Java 1.6. I've been using these same settings for a while now, I know I was using them for 888 for instance.

Again, you want to center around the last price.

And again, click on the display icon adjacent to the minimize button in the upper right hand corner of BookTrader on the title bar.

By the way, I don't see how you could function with 12 rows.

OldTrader

#34     Feb 4, 2009
  5. >OldTrader

Thank you for letting me know you are using 891.5 which is same version I tried.

I did try both center around last price and center around midpoint bid/ask. And the expanded display is the one I always use. So we are on the same ground there. However, as you mentioned my using only 12 rows it brought something to mind.
    Perhaps you are trading futures for which the exchange provides
    very deep data. I trade in Asia where only Best Bid/Ask 1 to 5 are available. This must be the reason and was not taken into account when IB made the changes to the re-center function in 891. I'll write and ask IB if this could be the case.

Thank you again for your help,
    learner

PS I always enjoy reading your posts when you take on the whiners. You always put them in their place!!

#35     Feb 4, 2009
  6. What brokers are you allowed to use ninja trader on? I here people saying that you can use ninjatrader on Interactive brokers is this true?

#36     Feb 5, 2009
  7. I'm trading US futures, primarily ES. I'm not familiar with the setup in Asia.

However, ES shows market depth 5 levels deep on the bid and 5 levels deep on the ask. 12 rows would only just cover the market depth...just shy of about 3 points. We can move 3 points in a matter of a minute or less.

40 rows gives about 10 points on ES. A much easier display to work with in my opinion. Maybe you'll have to experiment with whatever you are trading. My market depth takes up about 25% of my display, with plenty of additional room for the futures to move either way.

Good luck with it.

OldTrader

#37     Feb 5, 2009
  8. #38     Feb 5, 2009

9. >OldTrader

Interesting. I thought you had a total of 20 bid and 20 ask levels
    visible in BookTrader. I guess 5 is the norm everywhere.

Sorry for so many questions, but with your settings at 40 rows, is your DOM also set to show all 40 rows? I guess that would make the ladder about 12 inches tall, and lessen the chances of the price ever running above or below the border of BookTrader.
    As I remember that is what I did years ago. But as it took up so much screen space I cut the number of rows to 12,and the last price goes up or down 1 or 2 rows but all bid/ask levels are constantly visible. What I trade is much more volatile than ES and yet even with only 12 rows all bids and asks are always in the center and I save a lot of screen space.

Anyway, if you would be so kind as to tell me if you have all 40 rows showing, it will clear thingsup and I won't bother you any more.

Thank you,
    learner

#39     Feb 5, 2009
  10. TWS is way , way too complex.
    The people who have worked on its design or made the decisions in the past 3 years are obviously idiots.

#40     Feb 5, 2009