IB TWS too complex

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by usman88, Feb 3, 2009.

1. usman88

usman88

I havnt stopped using ninjatrader. IB is my backup broker.

#21     Feb 4, 2009
  2. Just curious as to why you have a back up broker? Also I was thinking about using ninja trader with Mirus Futures..they quoted me $4.40/round turn.....Wanted to know who u currently clear with and if you knew anything about Mirus as a broker...thanx

#22     Feb 4, 2009

3. Speaking as one of IB's 95,000 customers, let me just state, for the record, that TWS is an insane and buggy mess.

No serious trader should leave his/her account to the mercy of its vagaries.

And we're not even talking here about IB's legendary "pink-outs."

P.S. I have an "Ivy League" education -- Harvard -- as well as degrees from Stanford and The University of Chicago. FWIW, Chicago's the only place I actually learned anything, but I digress.

#23     Feb 4, 2009
  4. LOL ... fine arts degrees and the ability to master ones computer have a negative correlation.

TWS is fine as backup or low speed entry. All works as advertised.

Personally I prefer Sierra Chart for order entry and management but did spend the 20 minutes required to master the finer points of TWS. (Not a fine arts degree in sight) :)

#24     Feb 4, 2009
  5. I use Sierra Chart also but right now for charting only. Do you use Sierra Chart's chart trade mode for order management or are you talking about an automated system? I have not explored either yet and I am looking to improve on how I enter/manage TWS orders.

#25     Feb 4, 2009
  6. undergrad major...math/physics...

i do consider the "hard sciences" worthy of the moniker "fine arts," although i'm certain that's not what you had in mind.

bottom line:

tws is a sucker's bet.

#26     Feb 4, 2009
  7. Surprised that one doesn't consider physics to be fine arts. But you've just proved one can pass maths physics there without being able to manage one's computing environment. Such is life - no wonder the Chinese were doing so well.

But onto the question. I use the chart trade mode manually on SPI, STW and HSI (asian futures). It works very well (I just manually enter limits or stop limits and SC places the initial exit bracket which I can then fine tune if needed - SC uses native TWS control where possible so you can switch from SC to TWS management as you wish (on SC initiated orders)).

#27     Feb 4, 2009
  8. With all the TWS experts on this thread, maybe someone can help me.

I was using TWS standalone version 882.2 on 3 computers with no problems. Recently I upgraded to version 891.5 on 2 computers and have a problem on both with the Re-center function in BookTrader.. The settings automatically
    carried over from 882.2 are 'Center around midpoint of bid/ask' and 'Number of rows to display 12'.

With 882.2 all 5 bid/ask levels remained visible constantly while moving up or down only 1 or 2 rows. However with 891.5 the 'last price' row moves all the way up or down to the border, and sometimes even past it and I have to click the Re-center button 100 times a day. I have tried using 'Center around last price' and also changing the number of rows to display. Same results.

In the release notes for 891, which I didn't read beforehand,
    it's stated,
    [The Auto Recenter feature has been modified to recenter when the price moves out of the viewable area. to avoid flickering or mis-clicks, autorecenter is disabled when BookTrader is armed and the mouse is in the price ladder area. ]

I guess they had their reasons for making this change. But the result is as stated above unless someone can point out a solution to keep the bids and ask centered. Having to manually re-center constantly is too distracting. It would have been nice if they had left the old settings function as an option.

2 days of clicking the Re-center button drove me crazy. So I copied 888 from my 3rd PC and installed it on the other 2. What a relief!! But, f course, I lose the functions available in the latest version. So if someone can offer a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#28     Feb 4, 2009
  9. Thanks. I tried this for the first time this morning and it works pretty well. I am using attached orders. One thing I noticed is that if you submit an order and cancel, one leg of the order remains "Pending Cancel" on the Sierra Chart window even though the order is no longer in TWS. Have you noticed this? It is a minor annoyance but if you have several cancels it could clutter up your chart window. I have not found a way to get rid of them unless I uncheck "show orders/positions on chart".

#29     Feb 4, 2009

10. F this confusing IB platform...Keep shit simple ...Using ninja trader with zenfire for feeds.....super fast...just need to find a reliable broker that doesnt go bust...afraid of losing an account if a generic broker goes bust

#30     Feb 4, 2009