IB TWS terrible for Mac Users

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Jackson, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Hey Jackson,
    Do you have any problem with the mac not remembering its state when you start up? I've got to input every chart thing each time. Pretty annoying.
    And I also find it annoying that IB has its own forum, and yet they rarely reply to people having problems with their software, etc.

'cheeks

ps I've got several macs, but like others above, I too use a cheap PC for trading. The trading software is only available for pc (j-chart.) I thought about upgrading my trendsoft package, but....

#31     Jan 17, 2007
  2. Jackson

Jackson

Buttcheeks,
    Not really sure what you mean? I don't think i have the same problem. Do you mean TWS charts? Charts in general? only charts?

#32     Jan 17, 2007
  3. psturm

psturm

If you would like to try an alternative to TWS on the Mac OS X platform, try QST-Quick Screen Trading.

You can sign up for a free 2-week trial here:

http://www.quickscreentrading.com

Use this link to download the software on the Mac:

http://quotes.computervoice.com/webstart/QST/qst.jnlp

You will be pleasantly surprised at how well this app runs for Mac users. Of course you can also run it on Windows, Linux, Solaris and BSD.

#33     Mar 21, 2007
  4. Reviving old threads. LOL. TWS for mac has been resolved in a number of areas, the layouts are remembered when you reload.

A direct comparison of TWS to QST is as simple as this.....

QST is faster and way more memory efficient. However, TWS is linked to one company and all the products they offer.

For Futures and related trading, QST hands sown should be your choice with the right broker.

www.lingroup.com is a nice place to go :) Although I am with GlobalFutures and I am currently working out the details to use QST with RCG. Will keep everyone Posted.

Power to the Mac Users. LOL.

BTW QST uses about 65MB of Ram, whereas TWS uses about 356MB.....

#34     Mar 22, 2007
  5. I've been a Mac user for years - my day job is a designer - but I would NEVER use it to run java. Despite the proclamations, Mac and java just don't seem to work well together. Echoing some of the other posts, I'd get a PC and use it for trading. In addition to the specific problem you're having, almost all trading software is PC only. If you're serious about trading, you should invest in the proper equipment.

Pete

#35     Apr 11, 2007
  6. psturm

psturm

Pete,

Your comments about the Mac and Java are dead wrong. Apple has done a better job at integrating Java with the Aqua rendering engine than Sun ever did with Windows or Solaris. I would agree with you that many (but not all) Java apps have horrible performance and sluggishness, whether they run on the Mac or the PC. I won't name names, but I am sure there are others who could.

With that said, you should give QST a try (www.quickscreentrading.com). I have had many users who swear they would never try a Java app but _really_ wanted to trade using a Mac tell me this. QST isn't only for a Mac, but I use it under Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris and BSD. I can tell you that the font rendering on Mac is smoother and easier to read than any of these other platforms. And yes, I am also using Windows Vista with Java 6u1 and the Mac still looks superior. If you are going to be staring at the screen for hours, this makes a huge difference.

Paul

#36     Apr 11, 2007
  7. I concur, your opinion of MACS and Java is WAY off base.... I am effortless with TWS....

No Hassles whatsoever.....

Perhaps you are thinking OS 10.2 or something archaic.

10.4 works great with Java, and TWS is fantastic under this INTEL mac with 10.4.9

#37     Apr 11, 2007
  8. works fine here.

#38     Apr 11, 2007
  9. Funnily enough the QST guy is just a spammer ... makes it read like a user but hes got 17 posts and guess how many qst recommendations ... smells like ?

#39     Apr 11, 2007
  10. PSturm is actually the developer for the software. However you need a broker that supports it in order to use it...

#40     Apr 11, 2007