IB TWS terrible for Mac Users

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Jackson, Oct 17, 2006.

1. KS96

KS96

Yes, intel core 2 duo.

I don't know what "RSS feeds" are.

#11     Oct 25, 2006
  2. Jackson

Jackson

That seems very strange to me. I've tried 2 different imacs with intel chips and they both have the same problem. But I was using the web version i believe. So I will try the Stand Alone and see if that works.

RSS feeds are the news feeds you can get through the TWS. How do you trade without them?

#12     Oct 25, 2006
  3. pkts

pkts

Jackson,

I have a Mac book with the Intel chip and don't have the same problem. But I am using the standalone version. The only problem I have is if I load tons of charts. Then it will freeze, but only after like 4-5 hours. And since I've started using the new build yesterday, I've had no problems.

#13     Oct 25, 2006
  4. Jackson

Jackson

That's funny Risktaker. I just switched to Mac a month ago after using a PC for years. Although TWS seemed to work alright on a PC, there were too many other issues. Now everything seems to work well on the Mac except for TWS - even though they claimed it did before I switched. Of course I'm going to keep pushing IB to figure it out -- along with Apple who develop their own Java. Either Apple Java or TWS have to be at fault and someone has to eventually figure out the issue and resolve it. It's called evolution you Neanderthal.

#14     Oct 25, 2006
  5. Jackson

Jackson

I have actually encountered 2 other people in a different forum using PCs with the TWS from interactive brokers who have had the same freezing issues I'm having. So now I'm wondering if it is more than a Mac issue and something else causing this problem for some users. But I wouldn't have a clue where to start trying to figure it out.

I have now tried both the stand alone and the web based versions and they both freeze.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

thanks

#15     Oct 30, 2006
  6. KS96

KS96

I trade without distractions without them... :D

#16     Oct 30, 2006
  7. rols

rols

I have been a die hard mac user since 1993 but because of various problems including the Java freezing
    and Mac changing OS too many times I have a PC for trading from Dell which was cheap even for us UK people. I'm now considering ditching Mac altogether.

The problem with Mac and JAVA is well known and one that apple hasn't got around to fixing as they're too busy selling iPods

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=669426&messageID=4243535

#17     Oct 30, 2006
  8. Jackson

Jackson

That's very interesting - I did not realize that Apple has had ongoing Java problems. You would think they would be on top of that.

#18     Nov 8, 2006
  9. Tums

Tums

you are an insult to the Mac community by using a perfectly beautiful piece of art for trading!

you deserve the problem you encounter!

use the Mac for multimedia.
    buy a $500 PC for trading.

#19     Nov 8, 2006
  10. F that - It just shows the incredible arrogance and complete attitude of IB. They don't give a @#% because they are too worried about getting the latest neon and pastel polo's so that can pop a collar and drink wine spritzer at the country club this upcoming weekend in CT.

It is amazing to see customers side with brokers - happy with the state of financial trading software these days. Are you joking? With the amount of notional capital that is traded, the software should be nothing less than absolutely flawless.

#20     Nov 8, 2006