IB TWS taking a lot of memory

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by gmst, Dec 5, 2012.

1. gmst

gmst

Thats a good point actually. I haven't checked with them, Java updates on my machine automatically, it updates I think once a week. I never had such a problem before in last 3 yrs. Do you check with IB support for TWS compatibility every time you update Java on your machine?

#31     Dec 6, 2012
  2. gmst

gmst

I have been experiencing this problem for last 5-7 trading days or so. When you say - you minimized the chart - I guess you mean you closed that chart - correct?

#32     Dec 6, 2012
  3. Bob111

Bob111

if it's a java issue-you can always install older version. this is one of the reasons why everything that says "auto update" is disabled on my Pc. java and TWS included.

i mean-minimize,not close :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkxhYgEBSEM

#33     Dec 6, 2012
  4. gmst

gmst

I will give it a try. Btw, how do you install an older version of Java. Sorry, have never done that before.

#34     Dec 6, 2012
  5. Bob111

Bob111

#35     Dec 6, 2012
  6. gmst

gmst

lol. that cracks me up :)

I minimized one by one all the windows of TWS and memory usage on task manager didn't show any change. I don't understand why memory usage will change dramatically whether you are displaying the chart or not. Anyways, so this suggestion doesn't work.

#36     Dec 6, 2012
  7. gmst

gmst

#37     Dec 6, 2012
  8. Well, what ThinkOrSwim did was to bundle the JRE into their installation and that would insure their platform was running on the exact release they had tested on.
    So they would start from the javaw.exe that was bundled.
    IB should probably do the same.

#38     Dec 6, 2012
  9. pfranz

pfranz

I'm quite surprised,I never had the kind of problems mentioned here.
    - Braincell, do you really have more problems with gateway than with tws workststion?Which problems?I never had problems with either,though tws was slower and introduced more latency than gateway.
    - Bob111, when you minimize an application in Windows,garbage collector sweeps a lot of memory,but the program reclaims it slowly,so after some time memory usage becomes high again.You have to minimize the main window,so that all other windows get minimized too.It's not a bad idea to minimize/restore tws every now and then.
    - I'm using the latest jre6 versions (currently b37), but I tried b16 and it worked fine,maybe a bit faster.
    - I used IB software on Windows 98,Windows 2000,Windows 7 and its behaviour was always the same.No problems,except for programming errors inside the java applet which show the same whatever jre or OS you use.
    - I'm always quite maniac about OS updates, so I apply all of them unless I'm really sure I don't need one,though I know some of them will only make my machine slower.My advice is to make sure you have all published OS updates.

#39     Dec 6, 2012
  10. Bob111

Bob111

----My advice is to make sure you have all published OS updates.---

disagree...i'm on xp sp 3. after sp3 download and install windows update was disabled..and i never touched it again for number of years..imo-have nothing to do with OS updates.

-----Bob111

if it's a java issue-you can always install older version. this is one of the reasons why everything that says "auto update" is disabled on my Pc. java and TWS included.---

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=254591&perpage=6&pagenumber=6

#40     Dec 6, 2012