IB TWS taking a lot of memory

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by gmst, Dec 5, 2012.

1. gmst

gmst

yup thats a good suggestion. will do that.

#11     Dec 6, 2012
  2. Bob111

Bob111

Jts0 might be a folder that was created by IB,when one was doing another install without proper uninstall first.
    i would save settings file,then properly uninstall TWS(windows control panel->remove programs),using manual uninstall(not automatic) and select all components and folders. then manually delete what's left. then restart PC ,install fresh TWS and restart PC again.now it's ready to use(oh and i would remove annoying check for updates from start menu)

#12     Dec 6, 2012
  3. gmst

gmst

I thought I would do uninstall and re-install when market closes. However, I just checked my programs folder and I don't have TWS installed anywhere in my PC. I go to IB's webpage and download TWS from there and use it.

My TWS has again become a bit slow and I just checked the memory usage has increased to 400MB.

#13     Dec 6, 2012
  4. Bob111

Bob111

check using add\remove programs,not from programs list. should be there(assuming we are talking about stand alone TWS)

yes,it's better to play with it after market close. could be some problems with java too

#14     Dec 6, 2012
  5. gmst

gmst

I don't have standalone TWS on my PC. I just download the most recent version from IB website every week on Monday and then keep it running through the week. That is the reason I do not have TWS program in my Add/Remove list.

Do you have any other possible solutions that I should try given this information?

#15     Dec 6, 2012
  6. Bob111

Bob111

sure..the solution is to do it "the right way". either run browser TWS from IB page or properly install and run stand alone TWS

none of those involves this-

#16     Dec 6, 2012
  7. gmst

gmst

Hey Bob, this is what I am doing. Is it "the right way" or not? Maybe the language I used to describe what I am doing was bad. Btw, have been doing this same thing for last 3 yrs - so i would be pretty shocked if I am doing it wrongly for last 3 yrs!

When I click on it, it downloads tws.jnlp on my computer. I run TWS by clicking on tws.jnlp, but it doesn't get installed on my PC. Am I doing something wrong here?

#17     Dec 6, 2012
  8. Bob111

Bob111

when i click on that link(on your screeshoot) next thing i see is this(see pic), then-login window

#18     Dec 6, 2012
  9. Bob111

Bob111

this one

#19     Dec 6, 2012
  10. I think you've been given bad advice here. I've seen a 700MB memory footprint on TWS too, but this is usually when I have more than 5 charts open and a lot of bars in them. Also, a lot of tickers and other windows open will spike the memory. In simple terms, TWS is a crappy piece of software, do not use it. Use a front-end with the Gateway or just open TWS to connect to it (I had problems with the Gateway much more often than with TWS).

Getting more memory is not a problem but on 32bit systems (and TWS afaik doesn't exist for 64bit) you will hit the memory limit at around 1.6GB per application. That can be as little as 20 charts open and 200 tickers. Also, TWS doesn't clean up after itself after closing charts. So, all in all, crappy software.

As for browser vs download version, I'm not sure what you mean but if you go to the main website > Trading Technology > Desktop Trading > Standalone Downloads > Windows Download > Install TWS , you will be taken to this link:
    http://download2.interactivebrokers.com/download/tws40_install.exe

That installs it by default to C:\Jts. That is the downloaded, proper version, 99% people should use.

#20     Dec 6, 2012